8. Procrastination At It's Finest

I think fate is trying to play Snakes and Ladders game with my life.

Jay appears to be right behind me. So when I turn back, I get startled and accidentally drop all the solution on his shirt.

Luckily, I don't drop the beaker to the ground but I gape at him in horror. "I'm so sorry, I'm so very sorry." I apologise him and try to rub the purple stains on his shirt.

Jay looks surprised and he tries to dry it off. "It's fine, Emma. It's okay."

I set the beaker at the table beside me. "No it's not okay, It's my fault. I should have been more careful," I start getting anxious.

Kevin and my friends immediately run towards me. "Emma are you okay?" He asks me.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" Jonah, the overprotective best friend of Jay rushes beside him, along with his other friends Dylan and Natasha. He glowers at me, "Are you blind?"

I open my mouth but Jay beats me to it. "Jonah, it's not her fault, it was mine. I was behind her."

"Still, she should have been careful. Thank god this solution was a base." He looks towards me, fire glazing in his eyes, "What would you do if it was an acid that fell on his shirt? Would you take the responsibility?"

I shudder under his gaze. I'm too afraid to say something but Kevin steps in to defend me. "Hey watch your mouth, okay? It's my best friend you are talking to."

Natasha, the other best friend who is also beside Jay, jumps in the quarrel. "Seems that your 'best friend' finds her way to mess with my best friend."

Before someone could say something, the teacher comes towards us with a stern look on his face. "What's done is done. They both said that it's each other's fault. Now get back to your places."

But Dawn doesn't stop from playing the role of a protective friend. "Your best friend said himself that it wasn't her fault, so stop pinning the blame on her, you twat," she retorts.

Dylan doesn't hesitate to join in banter and throws insults at Dawn. "And you stop being a bitch."

Mason steps in front of me and grabs the collar of Dylan's shirt with his fingers. "Don't you dare say another thing about her," he spits out his anger at him.

"Maybe you should learn how to respect a girl first, you asshole!" Zach supports Mason, gritting his teeth.

This is getting out of hand. Someone needs to stop it, but seems like every student in our class is more invested in filming this fight with their cellphone cameras than their experiment.

I want to do something about this, but I'm a little scared about confrontations. I don't have the strength in me to stand up for myself. I get paralysed, too shocked to say anything when someone confronts me.

And the same goes for Sophia too. A reason why I'm best friends with her.

"Boys, I want you to stop it, if not all of you are going to get detention," Mr.Wilson warns them, but they don't let it pass through their thick heads.

I notice a flick of change in Jay's eyes before he releases the grip of Mason's fingers from Jonah's shirt, and stands high in front of him and Zach. "That is not the way you talk with my friends, asshole," Jay replies with a slow yet a threatening voice.

Whoa, what?! Did he just...talk to my friends in that way?

Nobody. I say nobody will talk to my best friends like that. They are the most spectacular earthlings on this planet with whom I think that life is worth living it. Nobody insults them. I won't stand it. And I won't spare anyone who thinks that it's okay to talk and insult MY FRIENDS and watch them simply walk away.