38. Indecisive brat

"Wh...what did you say?", I stuttered, the lump in my throat grew bigger.

"Uh... Forget what I said.", he agitated and walked past me.

"No.", I ran after him and crossed his path. Pulling my arms wide open, I blocked his way. "Tell me what did you say?"

"I said forget about it. It doesn't matter.", he exclaimed.

"It matters to me.", I yelled in frustration. Closing the distance between us, I cupped his cheek. He leaned into my touch, his eyes closed on their own.

"I think I am falling in love with you.", he whispered without opening his eyes and my heart skipped a beat.

He loves me. Oh my God!

Wait!

"No.", I yanked myself away from him. "That's bullshit. You are getting married tomorrow. How can you even think like that?", I half-yelled.

"That's why I am asking you to forget about it.", he walked past me, leaving me standing there in the whirlpool of emotions.

I wanted to run behind him but at the exact moment, Nathaniel walked out. His face turned into a scowl when he noticed my ruffled hair. He asked me if he could take me back to the mansion if I want and I agreed immediately. I could see Xavier's frown in my peripheral vision but at that moment, I didn't feel like arguing anymore.

He drove me back in his car. The whole time, he kept talking about different topics but my attention was solely focused on the words that came out of Xavier's mouth.

"I love you."

...

After returning to the mansion, I locked myself in the room and stripped out of that damned dress. Rushing into the bathroom, I hopped into the shower and let the warm water calm down the hurricane arising in my mind.

His voice was hitting my eardrum again and again. The honesty I felt in his simple  words was far more than any proposal I have watched or heard. No, I needed to forget about that. Xavier said this because he was drunk, the alcohol was messing with his thoughts, nothing else. My heart clenched at my owm assumption and I nearly screamed in exasperation.

After slipping into my pajamas, I exited the bathroom and turned off the lights. After flopping down on the bed, I draped the duvet over me and closed my eyes. I wanted a peaceful sleep but everytime I closed my eyes, the scene of our kiss started replaying in front of my eyes. His lips moving along mine in a soft rhythm, the feel of his hands over my body, his warm minty breath caressing my skin.

Ah, what the fuck!

I settled back to the sitting position and hugged my knees. I could hear some muffled sounds from Xavier's room which meant he had returned.

Pulling myself up to the standing position, I ran my fingers through my hair and walked out of my room. Descending the stairs, I reached the lounge. But when I found someone already slumped on the couch in the darkness, fear crept in my mind. With fumbling hands, I switched the lights on and my jaw hang open in surprise when I found Jessica sitting on the couch.

Her eyes were bloodshot and her cheeks were swollen. She looked like she was crying. When she noticed me, she rubbed her face with the back of her hands and plastered a fake smile on her face.

Does she know about what happened at the club?

"Hi.", she whispered and I realized that she had no idea. Then why was she crying?

"What happened?", I asked with concern and settled down in the space beside her.

"Nothing.", she trailed. I looked at her for a moment, comprehending whether to ask again.

"You can consider me your friend.", I patted her shoulder and passed her a genuine smile.

"You ARE my friend, Hazel.", she returned my smile.

"Then tell me what's the issue.", I prodded further.

"Ummm... I..", she looked torn. "It's just pre-wedding jitters.", she replied. I could tell she was lying but I didn't ask further. Instead, I walked back to the kitchen and made two cups of hot chocolate , one for her and one for me. It was one of the few things I can prepare.

When I handed her the hot chocolate, a wave of genuine happiness flashed her face and she thanked me. We both started sipping the heavenly chocolate, the cozy environment relaxed both of our minds.

In that moment, I felt extremely guilty  for kissing her husband-to-be. Sje didn't deserve this.

...

When she left for her room at almost 2am, I pulled my lazy ass up from the couch and trudged towards my room. I stopped in my tracks when I saw Xavier leaning against his door. His eyebrows furrowed when he realized my presence.

He began to walk back to his room but my words stopped him. "She doesn't deserve this.", I spoke in a low voice and he turned around. A pained expression settled on his face.

"What?", he asked.

"She doesn't deserve a person who can't give him one hundred percent of his heart. She doesn't deserve someone who confesses his love to another girl a day before their marriage.", I continued.

"You know nothing about us, Hazel.", he looked like he was struggling with finding the right answer.

"I know enough to realize that you, Mr. Xavier Davis, are an indecisive brat who is fucking with everyone else's life.", I retorted angrily and he gritted his teeth.

He walked towards me and stopped when there were only few inches between us.

"If I were you, I'd shut up.", hurt dripped from his voice as he muttered under his breath.

"Fine. Just a last thing though.", I started again. "You didn't choose me because I am not rich or smart or beautiful like her. Right?", I had no idea why I said this.

His eyed widened with disbelief and he closed the distance between us so that I had to angle my neck to look into his smoldering eyes. His breath tingled my forehead and I licked my lips involuntarily.

"You don't know anything, Hazel. I'm not the villain in this story.", he leaned down and whispered against my face, causing goosebumps to appear on my skin.

"Then tell me", my voice was barely audible.

He nodded and created some distance between us, I shivered at the sudden loss of his warmth.

"I guess I should.", he said to himself.

************************

Any views regarding Xavier? What should he do?

And Hazel? What should she do?