12. Chatter-box

Our food arrived soon after which consisted of two plates of Alfredo pasta, two strawberry smoothies and one cup chocolate mousse. The tantalizing aroma of pasta made my stomach growl in excitement.

On cue, Xavier walked out of the bathroom wearing black sweatpant and white V neck t-shirt. My eyes shamelessly roamed over his toned body as he dried his wet, brown hair with a towel.

God bless my eyes!

"The food is getting cold dude.", I announced to divert my attention from him.

"Dude? Really?", He chucked the towel at me and I hissed in anger.

"Easy tigress.", He muttered and sat down in front of me.

We both indulged ourselves in the creamy heaven. After I had munched down the whole plate of pasta and a large glass of smoothies, I burped unattractively.

Great Hazel. A huge round of applause for you.

"Sorry.", I smiled sheepishly and he just rolled his eyes at me.

He said the chocolate mousse was for me and I beamed in response. As the chocolate reached my taste buds, I moaned in delight and my eyes closed automatically. It was easily the best mousse I have ever tasted.

Opening my eyes, I found Xavier looking at me with a confused expressions at his face.

"What?", I asked.

"Do you know you are crazy?", He said and I grimaced in return.

"You want crazy, I'll show you crazy.", With that, I aimed a pillow at his face. He gave me a death stare and I laughed in return.

He threw the pillow back at me which I dodged easily. I passed him another taunting smile and he frowned in return.

Our staring contest would have been longer but his ringtone boomed in the room. My eyes inadvertently moved to his phone screen and the caller ID showed "Jessica". In a corner, there was a picture of a beautiful brunette with hazel eyes. She had a cute smile playing on her thin lips.

Who is she? A girlfriend? Sister? Friend?  Friend's sister? Sister's friend?

He picked up the phone and answered it.

"I am perfectly fine Jess, you don't have to worry.", He said to the girl.

Jess? So they are on nickname basis?

I don't know why but my stomach suddenly churned in annoyance.

"I'll be back before you know it.", He said in a sweet, loving manner and it felt like someone had stabbed my heart with a sharp knife.

Why is it hurting so much? I have known him for few days. I can't let him have that power over me.

He cut the call and turned his attention towards me.

"Your girlfriend?", I asked in a low voice.

"Uh.. my fiance.", He stated.

Bitch. Bet she is some pompous bikini model feeding off his wealth.

"She is a child specialist. She works for kids suffering from cancer in underprivileged towns.", He informed.

Sh*t. I can't even curse her now.

"You must love her so much.", I said, afraid of the answer.

"Uhh... Y- yeah.", He muttered, unsure of his answer.

Burying the disappointment in the back of my mind, I lay down on the bed and shut my eyes tightly.

"I will sleep on the couch.", He said and I just nodded in return.

I heard him turning the light switch off and settling on the couch. As much as I wanted to sleep, the thought of Xavier was constantly irritating me.

You hate him, Hazel. He is a rude, narcissistic Chauvinist. You should be happy he is someone else's pain.

I consoled myself but an unfamiliar pull in my heart told me otherwise.

...

"When will we reach there?", I asked, yawning.

"Just five more hour.", He answered calmly.

We left the hotel at 9 in the morning and now it was 4pm. Xavier had been quiet the whole journey and I busied myself with reading. Every now and then, my thoughts diverted to a certain girl named Jessica but I prevented myself from feeling bad.

After all, I don't need a man in my life. I am better off alone.

It's just a matter of 5 more hour. Then, we will go on our separate ways. He will return to his goody-two-shoe fiance and I'll continue my boring, meaningless life.

Urghhhh. Why is this thought so freaking disturbing?

"What are you thinking about?", Xavier's voice pulled me out of my thoughts.

"Huh?"

"Your nose is scrunched and your brows are furrowed. What is disturbing you?", He turned his attention towards me.

You and your perfect little fiance.

That is what I wanted to scream.

"Uh.. nothing.", I lied.

"Let's play twenty questions.", I suggested, changing the topic.

If we are together for just few more hours, why not make it a little less boring.

"Twenty questions? What are we, twenty?", He joked and I looked at him with confused expressions.

"I am twenty.", I announced and his expressions turned into surprised first and then amused.

"Guess we really don't know anything about each other.", He commented.

"Ok, my turn first. What's your age?", I exclaimed.

"Twenty six."

Nice.

"Ok. Your turn?"

"Favorite movie?", He asked.

"Titanic."

"I didn't think you'd love these gooey romance movies.", He remarked.

"Hey, I never said anything about romance. It's more of a tragedy. It is no meager chickflick, sir. It presents a detailed viewpoint of both victims and survivors. It is a take on what great feats mankind can accomplish and how nature, at the end, is still above us all. Titanic is a perfect meshwork of big-canvas story telling and nail-biting tragedy depiction.", I said in one breath.

By the time I stopped, he had an impressed smile etched on his face.

"And I thought you are just a chatter-box.", He smirked and all I wanted to do was to wipe that smug smirk off his face.

"You have no idea Mister how talented my mouth is.", I retorted but soon realized what I just said. The way his face suddenly flushed told me that he had understood the double meaning too.

Crap.

"Umm.. I was talking about talking, not the other thing. Not that I know if you are thinking about the same other thing I am thinking. But if you are thinking about the same thinking i am thinking then I must tell you then I was not thinking about the thing I am now thinking-"

"Hazel.", He said loudly.

"Yeah?", My voice was low, contrary to his.

"Ssshhh."

Way to go, chatter box.

***************************

So Xavier is engaged. Poor hazel!

How was the chapter?

Don't forget to vote, follow and comment.