28. Dinner or Date

"Ok, so the menu is decided. We need the samples by this Friday.", Stefan said to the head caterer.

She nodded in agreement and stood up, followed by her assistant.

"I am looking forward to this wedding.", she passed Stefan a professional smile which he returned with a smirk.

As she turned around to leave, I diverted my attention to Stefan whose eyes were fixated on her butt as she swayed her way out of the living room.

"Geez. Stop gaping like an idiot.", I miffed, looking at his hanging mouth.

"What crawled up your ass and died?", he teased, earning an eye roll from me.

"Nothing.", I seethed.

"Ok on a serious note, is there something wrong?", he asked.

I sighed heavily and uttered wearily, "I am going on a dinner with Nathaniel and I have no idea what to wear."

He gaped at me with surprised expressions and then after contemplating for a minute, he finally spoke, "You are going on a date with Jessica's cousin?"

"It's not a date.", I retorted angrily.

"It is a date.", he opposed.

"Shut up.", I fumed and chucked a cushion at him which he caught with ease.

"I can help you.", he suggested after laughing at my pain for few minutes.

"Why would you help me?", I asked, confusion lacing my voice.

"Cause I want this date to be a success. And I don't think wearing a baggy sweater will be a way for it.", he muttered sarcastically.

"First of all, my clothes are not that bad. Secondly, it is not a date.", I groaned in annoyance.

"Just tell me the time, Hazel.", he added.

"Fine. Come to my room at 5' o clock and you can help me decide the outfit.", I mumbled heavily and got up to leave.

Just when I exited the room, I found Xavier descended the stairs. His eyes caught mine and he nodded his head in acknowledgment.

"Don't be too excited for your date with Nathaniel.", Stefan sang out from behind me and Xavier's nose scrunched in confusion.

"It is just a dinner.", I said through gritted teeth and cast an annoyed glance at Stefan who looked quite proud of his petty act.

My eyes flicked back to Xavier who had a displeased expression on his face. Before I could say something, he let out a small grunt and walked past me towards the main gate, leaving me standing there baffled.

Was it a mistake to accept this dinner offer?

...

"What about this one?", I pulled out a pair of white jeans and an off-shoulder blue top.

"Nah.. Too perky. Show me something sophisticated.", he commented.

Humphing, I pulled out a yellow ankle length flowy dress.

"Boring.", He clicked his tongue.

"I didn't pack a whole boutique, boss.", I spat and slumped down on the bed.

Sighing, he reached my cupboard and started throwing my outfits at the bed. I heaved in relief when his eyes stopped at a particular dress.

"This one definitely.", he showed me a maroon knee-length spaghetti strap dress which my mother sent me on my graduation. I wanted to throw this out but a nagging voice in my head never let me.

"Umm.. I don't.."

"Cut it Hazel. You are wearing this, consider it an order.", he tried to look dangerous but ended up looking funny.

Pulling the dress from his hand, I entered the bathroom and took a warm shower. When I came out, Stefan was already gone.

Instead of wasting my time, I blow dried my hair and straighten them. Applying some mascara and nude lipstick, I slipped into my black heels and slung the strap of my black clutch over my arm.

As if on cue, I heard Nathaniel's voice from outside the door. Opening the door, I found him leaning against the wall.

"Wow. You look.... well... Breathtaking. And I mean literally.", he took in my appearance from head to toe.

"Well, thanks.", I felt heat creeping up my neck.

He led me to the car and revved the engine. The drive passed quickly with his occasional flirting and silly banters. The car halted to a stop in front of what looked like a five-star hotel.

Wow. This looks quite fancy for just a friendly dinner.

"Come on.", he gripped my hand, much to my discomfort and we both walked inside. A waiter led us to a reserved table which was in a secluded corner.

"What would you like to eat?", he asked as the waiter handed over the menu to me.

Everything was expensive in the menu, even the soups and starters. But thanks to my new job, I could afford to eat a meal in this place so I settled for Parmesan chicken while Nathaniel ordered Spaghetti Carbonara.

"You don't think I would let you pay, do you?", he commented when he watched me search through my purse.

"This is not up for discussion. I'll pay for myself and that's final.", I said sternly and he scowled.

"But..", he stopped when I raised my eyebrow and crossed my arms in front of my chest.

"Fine. But the dessert is on me.", he said in a grave tone leaving no room for discussion.

"So tell me about you.", he said, propping his elbow on the table.

"Umm... Well, I am from Boston. I have a brother whom I love more than anything. I had a degree in management studies and I want to be a successful event planner. That's all, my life is quite boring.", I told him.

"What about your love life?", he asked with interest and I gulped.

Xavier's face appeared in front of my eyes but I pushed it back and responded, "Single."

A satisfied smile appeared on his face.

"What about you?", I questioned.

"I am a graduate of Cambridge. My family lives in London but I work in LA. I spent two years in Italy after my graduation. Besides Italian, I can also speak French and German. My relationships history is pretty much insignificant.", he stopped when the waiter served the food in front of us.

"Impressive.", I uttered and turned my attention to the food. My tastebuds exploded when I took the first bite and I moaned in pleasure.

"What?", I lifted my head to see the amused expressions on his face.

"Nothing.", he smiled and busied himself in devouring his food.

Silence prevailed on the table as we finished our food. After which, he ordered two slices of raspberry cheesecakes which was just as delicious.

He told me about his job and his family and one thing that I observed, he talked a little too much, unlike someone I knew.

Stop thinking about him, Hazel

I tried my best to join his conversation but after that thought, my mind kept wandering towards Xavier and I couldn't stop myself from comparing Nathaniel with him.

**********************

Want to see possessive Xavier?