18: One More Year

Broken girl hidden away,
Her soul always in dismay,
Blue eyes,
Corrupted heart,
A love that could not fall apart.

The paleness of the land was a haunting one. As if every centimeter of the house was buried in fog, a heavy fog…I didn’t like it. It been a week since we came here and the entire group had been hidden away in their rooms making arrangements, Liam especially. I have never seen him like this, in total utter concentration, it as if he doesn’t exist anymore.
I’ve been alone most of the time besides the occasional chit chat with Sam and Vincent, I had learnt that Sam hated to be called Samantha (hence the nick name) but I enjoyed teasing her about it. In return she started calling me Sky, a nickname which I despised…honestly; it made me sound like a guy.
My “Training” Hasn’t started apparently Liam is contacting a friend who will help me with my lack of muscle and fighting skill. I can only imagine the torture that they have in store for my weak body, a shiver would go down my spine anytime the thought came about.
But my fear towards training wasn’t half as bad as my fear towards Tara; she would glare at me any chance she got. I find it funny how easily she can hate me, we have never had a conversation before…so how can she despise me?
I pulled back my long hair into a simple ponytail with hung down my back; my eyes were focused on the farthest point of the horizon. It still amazes me how far we are from cities, it feels like we live in our own little world. This house didn’t look like the type to fit in the middle of nowhere. The walls were an elegant Victorian style and the garden screamed “sophisticated.” Yet here we were…in the silent dessert.
I stole a quick glance at Liam who was searching through thousands of files which were scattered across our bedroom floor. His eyebrows were scrunched together in a confused sort of way that made him look extremely innocent. I chuckled to myself before looking out the window; I was trying to distract myself… from everything.
Liam and I hadn’t spoken about Faith, Liam’s sister, since that night. I don’t think it’s time yet, the wound had reopened and it needed time to heal. I understand how it feels, Alex gave me a scar. I still miss him, my best friend.
I remember the innocence he had hidden within his warm brown eyes, the small smile he would show to cheer me up, or the deep rumbling laugh he had. I loved him; he was the one person I truly thought of as family. I feel dumb for not seeing the sadness he had within, maybe I could have saved him.
I hate seeing the image of his cut up arm; he tried so hard to hide it. I wish I could go back and help him like a true friend would. I felt sick to my stomach, the darkness I had pushed away for the past months came tumbling down on me. I had just opened the door I had worked so hard to close.
Before I could break down internally a pair of strong arms wrapped around my waist pulling me out of the darkness I managed to fade into. A sense of relief poured into my body letting me finally breathe. He truly is my guardian.
“What’s wrong?” he asked softly, I could hear the worry in his voice.
“Nothing” I lied.
“Don’t lie” Of course he knew.
“I miss him, Liam” I decided not to hide from him, it was useless anyway.
I turned around to look him straight in the eyes; the blue always brought comfort to my colorless emotions. His hand reached out and brushed away a strand of loose hair that managed to escape the ponytail.
“How did you meet him? Alex, I mean” He asked genuinely curious.
A small smile spread across my face before answering “That’s the thing, I don’t remember…it just…happened” Liam nodded before resting his head on my shoulder.
“What about your sister?” I asked so softly, I didn’t want to take him back into the sadness.
“What about her” Liam tensed.
“What was she like?” I laced my hand through his hair trying to sooth him, like he did to me.
Liam relaxed, his body melts into mine and I knew he had calmed down. His breath hit my neck as I nuzzled closer to him.
“She was soft, as in… her smile, it had this softness I can’t explain.” I ran my hand down his neck making him shiver softly, of course I felt happy. “ Her hair was black, she got it from my mom…and her eyes were this pale blue… lots of guys liked her” Liam laughed softly.
“I bet that was tuff for you, huh?” I looked down at him smiling.
“Oh yeah, guys would come over and ask her out but before I could give the ‘big brother’ speech she would turn them down, she wanted the right guy…thankfully she got a taste of love before she died.” Liam sighed, a curiosity made its way through my mind and I couldn’t stop myself from asking.
“She got a taste of love?”
Liam scoffed in a frustrated fashion but I could still see a small smile play at his lips “Ashton, a guy who used to live here” he said simply, I could see some pain in his expression so I quickly tried to lighten the mood.
“Well every girl should have love…Faith had that, fortunately” I smiled warmly before hugging him tighter.
“I want to marry you” He said, I froze. My heart was pumping faster and faster, he was probably joking. Yes I was overreacting.
“ V-very funny” I said, my voice was shaking making me cringe inwardly at my un-cool self.

I looked outside at the now dark sky; my cheeks were flaming adding on to the weirdness of the situation. Maybe I should change the subject
“Are you hungry bec-” I was cut off my Liam’s voice which made my lungs loose it oxygen.
“I’m not kidding” His eyes bore into mine, searching for something. I felt something unfamiliar, fear. I had never felt fear around Liam, but now I did…but this fear was different. It was intoxicating and good, the feeling burnt through my body making my bones tremble in delight.
No words came to mind, so I stood there staring into Liam’s eyes as if they were heaven, which they were. I could probably come up with thousands of reasons this relationship wasn’t healthy… I would probably die without Liam, we both had scars which could kill us both, and the odds were against us. But I found so many more reasons to be together…. We loved each other, we’re both stubborn so we don’t give up, and together we can heal our scars.
So I said what I wanted in the moment, because I know in ten years I will still want this “I want to get married too.” A small laugh escaped my lips making a cross between admiration and hope shine within Liam’s eyes.
“One more year to go…” He whispered. I screwed up my face in confusion until I realized I wasn’t legal.
“One more year” I reassured.
“Will you marry me? Will you keep me alive?” He asked.
To mask my happiness I scoffed “That sounds cheesy, but yes I most definitely will” I kissed him softly.
Time collapsed in my hand, everything was real. Not fake, or poison…instead it was real and left a sweet taste in my mouth. Because I love him, I really do.
“I’m never going to let them hurt you again” Liam murmured into my ear, I knew who he meant… my family had created the scars which would be permanent but honestly, I’m glad they did. I learnt what to avoid in life. So I thank them for that.
Liam and I stayed like that for hours, standing in one another’s presence until we could’nt stand anymore, and eventually we went to bed. I fell asleep without worries for the first time in my life.

~ ~ ~

A/N: Update :D Please comment and vote! it makes my day. oh, THANK YOU FOR almost 5k reads!!!!!! It means so much to me that people love this book as much as I do. New trailer by @ombredelemort <3

-Andromeda