Rainy Welcomes

The next day my bags had all been packed and boarded onto the train. The station was the same as it was every other year, except this year a little more dark. I watched as first years hugged their parents goodbye and old friends reunited. So far, I hadn't seen any of my friends. Only Draco. I barely said a word to him still. He did attempt to start a conversation but he eventually gave up when I wouldn't respond.

"Now, you remember what I told you?" Lucius reminded me sternly pointing a finger at my face. I nodded my head, knowing he was talking about the escaped prisoner. Draco and I said goodbye and boarded the train. I made sure to avoid any Gryffindors I had become close to over the two years. I had to distance myself from them, I didn't want to, but I knew I had to. It was for the best, for all of us.

"Hello, Bella!" Goyle greeted as he sat down across from me next to Draco. I smiled at him and looked out the window. Crabbe sat down next to me. I didn't like either of them, and I wasn't in the mood to fake it either. I fell asleep for most of the ride.

When I did wake up, my face was pressed up against the glass. It was freezing cold, the lights were flickering on and off. I stretched as I sat up, I looked around at all of the boys in the cart to see fear in their eyes.

"What's the matter?" I asked in confusion.

"The trains stopped. And I think there's something out there." Crabbe quaked pointing towards the window. It was freezing, you could see his breath when he spoke. I shivered and wrapped my arms around my shoulders.

"You're cold. Take my jacket." Draco stated beginning to remove his jacket off of his shoulders.

"I'm fine." I denied harshly. He looked at me then returned to watching out the window. I probably should have taken the jacket, but I was too stubborn to allow him the satisfaction. I jumped as the whole cart shook, Goyle and Draco almost began to cry.

"What's happening?" Goyle sobbed. I placed my hand up to glass, and gasped as a black cloaked figure stared at me through the window. It picked its hand up as if it was about to touch mine through the glass. It's hand looked like a Skelton. At the last moment it hesitated. A second later it flew past us causing all of the boys to jump slightly. And then it was gone. The train began to move and the cold was gone, it was as if nothing had happened.

"What was that?" Crabbe asked. As if I would know. I simply shrugged my shoulders and went back to looking out the window. Whatever it was, I knew I wouldn't forget it. I would do everything I could to avoid Draco. Until I believed it was time to forgive him.

When we arrived at Hogwarts the school looked the exact same as I had left it last year. Except for the fact it seemed darker, the lights seemed dimmer. The whole setting of the castle seemed erie. It was raining, more like thunder storming. We were forced to take wagons due to the rain. We were ushered off of the trains. I ran to the first wagon I saw, with Crabbe, Goyle, and Draco following behind me. I attempted to climb onto the large wooden wagon. When I was almost up, I slipped and almost fell. I would have landed on the ground if it wasn't for Draco grabbing my waist and holding me up.

"Thanks." I mumbled grabbing onto the wagon and pulling myself away from Draco. The wagon wasn't any warmer than outside. But at least it wasn't raining anymore. Eventually all three of the boys made their way up into the wagon. Crabbe sat besides me with Goyle and Draco across from us. I could stand Crabbe a little more than Goyle, but a lot more than Draco at the moment. Even though he was very mean to people. The whole ride was quiet, and I enjoyed it.

When we arrived at the school we were ushered into the Great Hall. Shockingly I hadn't seen Pansy yet. I was surprised she hadn't wanted to see me or at least Draco. I watched as the second years sang at the front of the Hall. They were being conducted by Professor Flitwick. The Slytherins laughed at how Flitwick waved his hands around like a mad man. The children in the front row held toads, this caused the Slytherins to laugh even more. When they finished their song everyone but the slytherin applauded the children. As the second years dispersed Dumbledore walked up to the Podium preparing to speak. Suddenly, Neville appeared out of nowhere he whispered in my ear:

"Harry passed out on the train, I think he was scared. You should check on him." He quickly ran away. This was my chance to either keep my friends or prove myself. I could show that I was worthy to be a Slytherin and apart of the Malfoy family. But I would really only be doing this because I didn't wanna see my mother.

"Harry Potter fainted on the train." I silently laughed. Eventually all of the Slytherins around me began to snicker and look at the table of Gryffindors across from us. I felt a small pang of guilt in my chest. I looked up to Draco to see him smirking at me with pride.

"Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! Now I'd like to say a few words. Before we all become bestudied by our excellent feast. First I'm pleased to welcome Professor RJ Lupin. Who's kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Good luck, Professor!" Dumbledore explained pointing to a red head man. The man stood up and waved to everyone. He seemed nice, but looked a little shy.

"Watch this." Draco smirked turning around to face the Gryffindors who sat behind him.

"Potter!" He hissed gaining his attention.

"Is it true you fainted? I mean you actually fainted?" Draco laughed as another Slytherin boy mocked Harry. I watched as Harry looked down slightly embarrassed I felt even more guilty.

"Shove off, Malfoy!" Ron snapped turning away from my table. I watched as Hermione glared at the back of Draco's head. I did everything I could to hide myself from their view.

"Our Care of Magical Creature's teacher for many years has decided to retire. In order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be taken by none other than our own Rubius Hagrid." Dumbledore continued to talk. I watched as Hagrid clumsily stood up and waved. Everyone applauded the giant, as did I. He knocked over plates in his efforts. McGonagall had to tug on his shirt to let him know to sit back down.

"Finally, on a more disquieting note, at the request of the Ministry of Magic. Hogwarts will, until further notice play host to the dementors of Azkaban. Until such a time Sirius Black is captured. The Dementors will be stationed at every entrance on the grounds. Now whilst I've been assured that their presence will not disrupt our day to day activities. A word of caution, dementors are vicious creatures. They'll not distinguish between the one they hunt and the one who get in their way. Therefore, I must warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. It is not in the nature for a dementor to be forgiving." Dumbledore explained with a serious and deadly tone.

"But you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times." Dumbledore stated as he waved his hand across a candle besides him. The fire immediately went out.

"If one only remembers to turn on the light." He added waving his hand again. But this time igniting the candle.