Chapter 24

Frank did not expect to see his best friend walking towards him as he left his house.

"Pete, what the hell are you doing out?!" Frank whisper shouted at him, almost as if he didn't want anyone to here, though there wasn't anyone nearby.

"I'm on my way back from Mikey's," Pete replied, walking closer to Frank as the latter finished locking his door. "What are you doing out? It's a full moon, you shouldn't leave the house!"

"Neither should you!" Frank exclaimed. "You're in just as much danger as I am, if not more. And I have to go, Gerard just stormed out and I have to find him before-"

Frank's sentence was cut off by a loud, blood chilling howl that pierced through the night. It was the loudest Frank had heard since the pack first came to town, and that wasn't a good sign. It was different than all the other howls Frank had heard, and it sent shivers running down his spine and made goosebumps grow on his arms.

"What the hell was that?" Pete said, looking around in panic.

Before Frank could reply, another howl called back, this one quieter, shorter, and almost panicked. Frank could recognize this one as one of the pack.

"That was our cue to start running," Frank finally replied, before another howl pierced the night, this one almost as chilling as the first, and somehow even louder, though it seemed to be coming from further away.

Frank turned towards the forest and started running, leaving Pete behind to try and keep up. The howling continued, but Frank was only focused on the ones that came from the same mouth as the first. Frank has lived for a while, and had quite a few run-ins with werewolves of different types, enough to know the differences in their howls. He could tell the first howl was that of a newborn, someone just recently turned, sharp and painful, slightly panicked, but it was one of a very powerful type, though Frank couldn't quite tell which one. The second one he recognized as one of the ways - he had heard it plenty of times before. The third was the one that worried him - it was the howl of a wolf type he hoped he would never have to hear again - that of a blood wolf. And not just any blood wolf - the Alpha.

Frank picked up his speed, now running faster than any human, soon ending up in a small clearing. The smell of wet dog was strong here, mingling with a less noticeable smell, one that Frank recognized but couldn't quite put his finger on. The source of it came from right outside the clearing, shrouded in the shadows of the trees. Along with the two smells lay another familiar one - the scent of Gerard.

"Gee?" Frank said, cautiously, trying to prepare himself for whatever might jump at him from the shadows.

No matter how prepared he might have been, nothing could have prepared him for the giant wolf that jumped at him from the line of trees, knocking him down to the cold, hard ground, and bared its teeth at him. Even with his life in danger, Frank couldn't get over the beauty of the creature pinning him to the forest floor. The fur on its face was black and shiny, glimmering in the pale moonlight that flooded the clearing, curving and flowing along the snarl lines of the wolf's face. Even though its face was black, Frank could somewhat see from his current angle that the rest of its body was not. Something Frank could see very well from his angle was the wolf's teeth, bared at him. Most of them were fairly normal for a werewolf - smaller and less sharp than that of a normal wolf's, though not by much. The thing that stuck out to Frank, however, were the fangs - longer and sharper than that of a normal wolf, almost reaching the length of those of a wolf were-vamp.

Then, Frank looked up at the creatures eyes, taking a longer moment to take them in now that the shock has slightly worn off, and his breath caught in his throat. A werewolf's eyes usually change color according to the wolf type - moon wolves are yellow, snow wolves are blue, and blood wolves are red. Even wolf were-vamps will have their eye color change when they transform, but that was more of a vampire thing. This wolf, however, had eyes unlike anything Frank had ever seen before. A multichrome of color, brown at its basis but blending with greens, grays, blues and even purples, all blending together, and Frank was struck with realization - he had seen eyes like these before, but these ones looked as if they had taken those and cranked the color up to eleven.