Chapter forty-two

Start from the beginning

I burst out laughing. I couldn't hold it any longer. He looked adorable yet funny with that look on his face.

"Why is this one laughing now?" He questioned.

I kept on laughing, although, I was trying to suppress it. "No...nothing!" I said in between my laughter.

He shook his head. "I'm not happy with you, you know?" He said seriously.

That statement instantly murdered my laughter. "Why?" I asked in utter perplexity.

"You don't even call me. On Saturday when I told you that I would tell you what happened that evening, you didn't even seem bothered at all."

"Who told you? Benjamin, I was bothered." I said truthfully.

"So why didn't you call yesterday to know or at least, know how I was doing. Every time, I'm the one that always call."

"It's not like that. I...I normally don't have call card. And yesterday, I didn't even have data at all."

"Then you should have told me. I would have sent you."

I merged my brows in a frown. "How would I have told you when I don't even have call card?" I pouted my lips afterwards.

He sighed in defeat. "All right." His shoulders that were tensing initially, relaxed. "So you wanna come with me for break?"

"Hmm." I rubbed my jaw in pretence thought. "Not until you tell me what happened on Saturday."

He groaned exasperatedly. "Nothing, really. I just wasn't home that night you called."

If he thought what he said now just cleared the air, well no it didn't. In fact, it made me feel more disturbed. "Where were you then?"

"Never mind. So let's go now." He looked away instantly. He definitely was hiding something from me. But what could that be?

"No." I stopped him as he attempted to drag my wrist. "Benjamin, where did you go on Saturday?" I asked with a stern voice.

"No where important." He didn't look at me. "Ruby, I already told you on WhatsApp, so let the topic just die please."

"Hmm." I sent him a skeptical look. "I'd just check it on my WhatsApp when I get home. So...the card?" I grinned from ear to ear.

He peeked at me. "Which card?"

"Ahn...na! You said you would send me card." I said in a babyish voice.

"I said send right, not give you now." He looked at me and was smiling.

I folded my arms around my chest. "Why can't you just give me the money now?"

"So I've now turned into a bank that would always have money, right?"

"It's not time to start crying." I narrowed my eyes at him. "Anyways, today sha." I reminded.

He shook his head as he smiled at me. "How much do you want?" He gestured his head at me, giving me the freedom to talk.

"Uhm...maybe..." I scratched my head. I wanted to say one thousand naira, but I was scared that he probably might see me as someone who likes money. So I said instead, "Any amount you can afford to send."

"Hmm, okay. One hundred naira then." He smirked at me.

"No o..."

He giggled at me. "I thought you said any amount I can afford, so it's hundred naira I can afford to send." He chuckled after his speech.