Chapter thirty-nine

I jolted up from bed due to an alarm that slapped my brain. It was an action that happened sometimes with me, not like I was facing any sort of problems in my life. It just happened to me sometimes, and strangely, I classified it as good luck. Curious why? Well, if I was keen on doing something overnight, it helped to wake me up. Or sometimes if I forgot to set my alarm, it woke me up. Why the descriptions anyway?

I looked at the time on my phone and it read 6:37am. Today was Friday. How I loved Fridays.

I stretched and yawned excitedly before unlocking my phone. As soon as I unlocked it, there was a message that popped on my screen. I clicked on it and I was delighted, ecstatic, delirious with Joy to see a message from Benjamin. He had sent me birthday wishes. Yeah, today was my birthday! But wait, how did he know today was my birthday? Because I didn't tell him. In fact, no one knew asides from Amaka. Or could she have told him?

I kept on searching my brain for answers on how Benjamin knew. It was then realisation hit me. Facebook had! I smiled to myself. Seeing Benjamin's message this morning, had just woken up every cell in my body. My Joy knew no bound.

I got up from my bed and made my way into the bathroom. As I was done dressing up, Rachel woke up from her sleep.

"Good morning." I greeted. Funny enough, I'd never done that before but I did today. Wow. I sure was very happy today.

"Hmm. This your dressing make sense." She checked me out.

I grinned from ear to ear. "Thanks." I was putting on a denim jean jacket, with a black sleeveless flare dress which was a bit above my kneels, coupled with a denim jean boot. To complement my look, I tied an Ankara orange star material on my head, making it have a big donut at the front close to my forehand, with a slightly heavy make-up on.

"Where are you going?"

I looked at her like she had just ask a very dumb question. "To lesson of course." I stated matter-of-fact.

"Hmm, that you're now dressed this way."

"Duh! Today's my birthday." I narrowed my eyes at her.

"And so? Na wa o! Girl, you can show off."

"How do you mean? See, don't come and ruin my day o. You can't even wish me a happy birthday, you're just there ruining someone's mood." I took my very big round gold earrings from my jewelry box and then wore them on. "Besides, ain't you going to lesson today?"

"I am. Anyways, happy birthday sis." She said rather awkwardly.

"Aw! Thanks dear. Keep my gift o." I took my perfume from my drawer and wore a little. Now I was absolutely done with dressing up. "Off I go." I placed my bag behind my bag and bounced out.

I strolled to my parents room and knocked on the door. "Come in." I heard mum say.

"Good morning ma." I greeted as I marched in.

"How are you?" She smiled at me. She was putting on just bra with a trouser. She was obviously preparing for work. 🎶Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you...🎶 She started to sing with her whack voice.

I couldn't help but laugh at the way she was singing. "Thanks mum." She widely stretched out her hands for a hug, which I gleefully obliged to. "Thanks mum." I repeated happily.

"Mummy what about dad?" I asked as I left her hands.

"He has taken Richard to school, and also has gone to work."