Chapter 17 - Barbarians

"Spirits of Evilness and Darkness, begone from this husk!", a woman chanted, almost naked, her body covered in ceremonial paintings. Then, as she danced around a fire, she recited several words that Argheros didn't understand. They were vaguely familiar, though... they sounded like a mix between Vrykul and human languages.

"Spirits of Goodness and the Sun, take hold within this bud", another woman sang, with a gentle and kind voice. She was almost naked too, but her body was entirely painted in green, and her tender parts were covered with leaves and vines.

They were performing an impressive ritual towards Raghek, the human that had been enslaved by the Legion Loyalists and forced to attack the Ambassadors. Irondawn contemplated the poor man, who was screaming and begging for his life to end. He had never seen a man going through so much pain only by listening to some chanting. He wasn't chained, he wasn't being hurt nor leashed. He was just in the middle of a Circle of Stones, next to a small fire, and the two women were only singing. But Raghek screamed as if a thousand lashes were flaying his skin.

"It is outstanding how these humans have been able to retain their bond with the spirits of nature...", Dunris murmured next to him. "Shamanism and Druidism among your people isn't quite common, right?"

"No, it isn't...", Argheros replied, amazed by the same.

These people had introduced themselves as the true Sons of Arathor, the last descendants of a line older than Strom itself. Argheros had hundreds of questions, but he feared they wouldn't find an answer yet. Their new hosts had provided food and water, good boar chops and mugs of dwarven ale. But before saying anything else, saving Raghek was a priority to them.

Most of their warriors and oracles had gathered around the circle of stones; even their leader, some sort of chieftain, had joined them. The man had a bushy beard, several tribal tattoos and a bear skin covered his shoulders. He had a helmet with polished deer antlers that he had removed from his head for the occasion. His golden hair had began to dye gray, but his aspect wasn't any less threatening.

He and his people kept an outstanding silence, only broken by Raghek's suffering and several Druids and Shamans who were also dancing towards the circle. The chieftain, his soldiers and the commoners all seemed mesmerized by the ritual, paying attention to every single detail.

And then, all of a sudden, Raghek stopped screaming, and the oracles ceased their dancing. The poor man fainted, and the women kneeled next to him. Both of them performed their own rituals: the Shaman painted Raghek's body, while the Druid covered the beaten warrior with several sacred herbs. The Barbarian chieftain gave a long sigh and then stood up.

"Who among our guests is the leader?", the chieftain finally asked with a thundering voice; all the Ambassadors stared at both Dunris and Argheros.

"We are", the orc answered, standing up as well.

"I see... but I will speak to no orc", the man spat on the tall grass and placed the horned helmet on his head once again; with it, he seemed even taller. "My men said they saw you fighting the other demon-loving brutes, but I'll be damned before truly trusting one of you."

"All these orcs among us are friends and honorable fighters", Argheros intervened, showing his allies with a gesture of his hand; he was somewhat angered by the chieftain's words. "I owe my life to most of them, and I would gladly give my own for them. I assure you there's no reason to doubt them."

"And I believe you, lad, and I do respect your honor. But that doesn't mean I'll trust them", the Barbarian insisted. "We despise orcs as much as we hate trolls and small humans like you... But I am a man of honor too, and you have been kind to my people. You could've killed Raghek and fought my men, but you respected their request and let the boy live. For this, I'll also be kind to you... I am told you have questions; join me in my tent and we shall talk."