Chapter 23 - An Eye For An Eye

Start from the beginning

Death approaches the edge of the road where they stand upon. His red eyes fixate on Ruby's.

"I won't let you." Qrow argues, standing back up with blood leaking from his mouth. Death stares straight at him.

"You can't stop me." Death states, dropping down from the road to attack them.

The Dragon soars straight over their heads, smashing a clock tower down above them, Ruby gasps when she sees the building collapsing above their heads. Winter looks up at it and she forms a glyph to block the collapse above Neptune and Scarlet. Scarlet is still wounded from having his hand broken by Death. Jaune presses his hand to his stomach, feeling the blood seeping out and dripping onto the floor. Ren and Nora vacate from the premises.

Ruby turns around to look at the rest of their team as the Clock Tower crumbles down in between them. "Ruby!" Yang screams, reaching out to her. But the tower collapses right between them, the blast nearly knocking her off her feet and sliding across the floor. Thara struggles to get the car moving, the battle has caused too much damage to it and the car is dead.

"It won't start!" Thara yells, bruised from the tricked civilians that attacked her under Fury's influence.

"We need to get them out!" Winter says, holding it up there as best as he can.

Scarlet can still walk, so he gets up and he puts his arm around Neptune, lifting him off the floor. Neptune screams in agony as they pull him to safety as Winter falls to one knee, trying to help keep the glyph there. As soon as Thara and the others are clear, she releases it, exhausted from having to use her semblance for so long. The massive pieces of rubble crash down onto the car, crushing it under the weight of the impact, completely flattening the car with shards of glass sliding across the floor along with flickering gold sparks bouncing on the floor.

The malfunctioning engine explodes, causing orange flames to bleed through the rubble that flattened it. Yang, Weiss and Blake clamber up the side of the destroyed tower to get to Ruby where she stands in the crossroads. Adam has vanished, but he was not under the tower when it collapsed. Yang runs to her sister and Weiss runs to hers as well. They both hug their siblings tightly; Yang nearly lifts her baby sister off the floor as she holds her.

"I thought I lost you!" Yang exclaims in a worried tone. Scarlet helps carry Neptune to safety but none of them notice the Black Nevermore diving down from the sky above them and landing right behind Scarlet, transforming into Death, wielding Ferrum Arctus in his hand. The impact is so powerful that they are all thrown onto the floor.

Neptune rolls onto the floor, blood leaking constantly from his legs and Scarlet gets back up, firing his Flintlock Pistol at Death once more, and having no effect. Death brings the black blade up with force and Scarlet wails in agony as the blade carves clean through his wrist that wields the pistol. Blood erupts from the stump and he shrieks out, unable to grab it with his broken hand. He staggers back and Neptune looks in horror.

"Scarlet!" Neptune screams, reaching out to him. Scarlet looks at him, the red hair moving from his eyes to reveal both. Suddenly the blade of Ferrum Arctus erupts through Scarlet's chest, pushing through the rib cage, scraping against his bones inside. he reaches up in complete agony as Death lifts him off the floor, blood pouring from his wounds. Ruby's eyes widen in horror as they witness Death completely murder their friend right in front of them. Death stares at them when Scarlet's body ceases to struggle, his arms falling back and nothing but blood leaking from his wound.

Death swings Ferrum Arctus to the side, the body of Scarlet still impaled on it and the body slides straight off the blade, smashing into the wall and laying there. Neptune can't stop looking; now he has lost another good friend to the monsters that have been a part of the Fall of Mistral. Death stares straight at Neptune, as he is also on his list as Scarlet was and Neptune screams in anger, pointing his Dust Powered Rifle at the Knight as he walks towards him with his Claymore in his hand.