Chapter Twenty-Two: Postica

Music is "I Think I'm In Love" by Kat Dahlia.

Picture is Claudia Doumit as Sarai.

}0{

Scaptotrigona Postica

Locally known in Brazil as Mandaguari, Scaptotrigona Postica is a species of stingless bee that is a critical pollinator of the tropical rain forests of Brazil. Approximately 30% of all pollination of the Brazilian Caatinga and Pantanal ecosystems and up to 90% of the Brazilian Atlantic Forest and the Amazon are pollinated by S. Postica. They are also known for their honey and are extremely susceptible to Brazilian insecticides Fipronil and Imidacloprid.

}0{

Chapter Twenty-Two: Postica

I resurface from the astral realm with the same dizzy and out of breath feeling that occurred last time. Melizza flies down from the bookshelf, clearly shocked by my reappearance.

"Did it not work?" she asks, hovering in front of me.

I turn to her with confusion. "I went under. It worked. How long was I gone?"

"Less than ten of your seconds," she replies. "That was quick. Did you speak with your grandest mother?"

I shake my head, pulling myself to my feet. "I visited Hal, my adopted father."

"He is not magical! He is not a Queen of the bees. He isn't even a bee prince."

I resist the urge to laugh at the way she's put things and the nicknames she's given Hal. "No, but he's right about everything. I can do this. I can fucking do this."

Melizza makes a happy buzzing sound and lands on my shoulder as I blow out all the candles. "I am gladest to hear this! Even if he is not a Queen."

I roll my eyes playfully. "Do you know where Wanda is?"

The little honeybee pauses, as if searching the hive mind for an answer, and then she relays the images of all the bees in the area to me. It seems I still have much to learn from these little girls, especially how to navigate the hive mind. The images flash by, as hurried as they are, eventually stopping at one bumblebee just outside the hospital. On her way to a flower patch, she passes a window. Through it, I can see Wanda sitting by a hospital bed. She's shuffling a deck of tarot cards, her face solemn.

"That's her." The images from the hive mind fade, and I turn to the bees with a thankful smile. "Thank you, Melizza. You're the best."

I turn for the exit, grabbing a purple hoodie to cover the torn shirt. On the way out and through the swarm of restless honeybees, Melizza follows. "Where are you going?"

"To the hospital, to get Wanda. I have to tell her what happened at the lab."

"I am coming with you!"

I shake my head. "You have to look after your hive, Melizza."

Melizza buzzes in front of me, a scowl on her fuzzy face. "I am coming with you, Sarai, and nothing is there that you can do to stop me."

I smile proudly at the little bee, shaking my head with a soundless laugh. "All right, you stubborn honeybee. C'mon." I push out the door, and Melizza follows me. I turn back to all the other bees, giving them a final order. "You, stay here. Wait for Melizza and I to come back."

They all buzz an affirmation, and I wrap the hoodie around my waist. My wings extend from my back once again, through the slits in the back of my shirt, and Melizza buzzes with surprise. "You are like me!"