Chapter Nine: Polaris

Music is "Still Falling For You" by Ellie Goulding.

Picture is Claudia Doumit as Sarai.

}0{

Bombus Polaris

This species of bumblebee is one of two that lives above the Arctic Circle. As such, it is also called an Arctic bumblebee. Bombus Polaris can survive at near-freezing temperatures and has developed multiple adaptions to do so. B. Polaris has a thicker coat of hair than must bees, utilizes thermoregulation, and makes insulated nests.

}0{

Chapter Nine: Polaris

The hours between the visit to the occult shop and Wanda and my study date seem to drag on forever, and that's not just because of the boring World History class I have on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons. I see a few familiar faces inside--I sit with Carol and Pepper, and see Loki, Thor, and Bucky across the aisle--but all I can think about is what happens after.

"You seem a little preoccupied," Carol teases as the class lets out.

I shrug, shoving my notebook into my backpack. "Wanda and I are going to get take-out and work on our project for one of our environmental sciences classes. I'm excited to get started."

"You sure that's all you're excited about?" I give Carol a playful glare, and she bursts out laughing. "I'm just teasing. I'm glad you're getting along with Wanda. Don't listen to anything anyone says about her."

"What would they say?"

She rolls her eyes. "Well, Tony's a jerk, and other people in this school like to gossip."

Pepper, instead of defending her boyfriend from Carol's insults, glances over her shoulder and says, "Sometimes, he is. He knows his dad is responsible for Wanda's parents deaths, and so they don't really like each other that much."

Carol nods in agreement with her roommate. "Just don't listen to them, okay?" I nod in response, and she smiles. "Good. Now, go on and continue with your 'study date.'" She puts air quotes around the words "study date" and winks at me.

"You're impossible," I sign, shaking my head.

"But I'm right!"

}0{

When I get back to the dorm, I quickly order a pizza from a nearby pizzeria that delivers. The app gives me an estimated time of arrival, and Melizza crawls out from under my collar. She flies and lands on the nearby dresser.

"Your Majesty, I must leave for a little while," she admits. "My hive, I mustest return to it. They will have wondered where I went to, and I can not communicate through the hive mind from this far away. I have to tell them that I have found you! Our search is over!"

I nod and smile down at the little honeybee. "Will you come back?" I ask.

She buzzes her wings, as if to say yes. "After I share the betterest news with my hive and get something to eat, then I will return. I will return with others to help you understand the extent of your gifts as Queen!"

I go over to the window and open it for her, giving her a straight path to the woods on the far side of the campus. "Beeeee careful," I nearly laugh.

Melizza buzzes happily and darts out the window, off towards her hive.

Someone starts to unlock the dorm, so I quickly shut the window and plop onto my bed, pulling the nearest book into my lap. Wanda pushes inside with a soft smile on her face, and I look up as if just hearing her enter.