Chapter Seventeen: Melanderi

Music is "Back To You" by Selena Gomez.

Picture is Claudia Doumit as Sarai.

}0{

Nomia Melanderi

Commonly referred to as the alkali bee, Nomia Melanderi is a ground-nesting bee native to deserts and semi-arid desert basins of the western United States. This solitary bee nests in salt-saturated, or alkaline, soil and are an effective pollinator of alfalfa. Farmers of this plant often create salty mud-fields to accommodate N. Melanderi to increase their crop's yield.

}0{

Chapter Seventeen: Melanderi

{November -- Three Weeks Later}

The fallout from that argument was terrible. While Wanda and I used to talk every day, for over a month, now we haven't spoken to each other in weeks. She's moved into a new dorm with some girl named Gamora, from what Carol's told me, and she's taken her clothes and belongings with her. What started as a few days distance from each other has ended in a total break-up, and we weren't even together in the first place.

Sitting with each other for two classes every week hasn't been great either. Fury's math class is bearable only because I have other friends to distract me, but Rurik Maximoff's class is the worst. Not only do we have to sit together, but I can't stand learning from someone that I know is doing something terrible.

I've tried to find out more about Max's project, but he's added more security to the building. I won't be able to get back in without being caught or without help, but I keep trying to find a loophole just the same. There has to be some way to prove to Wanda that I'm right. I can find it if I just keep looking.

Melizza has been a lot of help over the past three weeks. She and I have nearly perfected our hive mind connection and nearly gotten there with the hive sight. I've even gotten to meet a few other bees from her hive, ones that have been dying to meet the new Queen. I'm still not used to that title, but I was nevertheless excited to see them.

My days mostly consist of school and magic now. Occasionally I'll hang out with Carol or the girls, but I haven't really put in the effort lately. I think they understand. Heartbreak isn't something you get over in a week. Peggy and Nat look in on me from time to time, since they're right next door, but that's the only real interaction with friends I've had for a few weeks. I've kept my nose to the grindstone, focusing on the degree I started instead of the friends I made.

The only event of importance in the near future, besides exams, is the Eco Innovations Fair tomorrow. Professor Max told the class a week ago that he'd decided on the winners for the tickets. I was both surprised and disappointed that he chose Wanda and I, not because I didn't want to go but because I knew we'd be going alone. She would hang out with her uncle, a man I don't trust, and I'll be watching him from the crowd.

It's not the best situation. At all.

The knock on my dorm's door causes me to sigh heavily. My feet drag as I answer it, seeing Carol standing on the other side with a big, friendly smile on her face. For a moment, I thought Wanda might've finally decided to come back, but my heart sinks at the sight of my friend--and it makes me feel even worse.

"Hey there," she greets. "I know it's not the weekend, but the girls and I are going to have a game night tonight, since exams are next week and we'll probably all be cramming over the weekend. You wanna join us?"

I bite my lip. "I don't know, Carol. I have a lot of work to get caught up on, I'm really behind."

Carol looks past me to the pile of textbooks and notes on my desk. She sighs, disappointed, and her smile drops off her face. "Listen, Sarai, I don't wanna sound like a mom here, but we're all really worried about you. I know we don't know everything, but we can tell you haven't been the same since you and Wanda split up."