41-Sleeping With The Headmistress

Start from the beginning

I sit down with Eli and a couple of my other friends, waiting for the day to be over so I could hop on my bike and get lost in its wonders.

"Wyatt," Eli calls, waving his hand in front of my face. My attention snaps to him and out of my daydream. "Y' alright mate? I called your name like five times."

I nod, brushing off the fact that I've been so unaware of my surroundings recently which is so unlike myself.

"Right..." he says sceptically before continuing like nothing ever happened. "Anyways I was asking if y' wanted to come to Connor Hill's party tonight. The whole school has been buzzin' 'bout it."

I scratch the back of my neck before shaking my head no. "Sorry man but I'm not really up for it."

Eli makes a noise that's somewhat similar to a groan but not quite there. "Cut the bullshit. You've been off the radar for months now. I get that you're all heartbroken about yuh girl moving on or whatever but fuck that shit. When the last time y' got laid, mate? I'm going to wingman you and you're getting back out there."

I let out a long sigh. We've had this conversation before. It always goes the same. "Eli she was never 'my girl' it wasn't like that. We were just friends — I'm not heartbroken or any of that shit. I'm just tired. This has nothing to do with her."

He scoffs and lets out a dry laugh. "Y' can fool a lotta people, Wyatt, but not me. We've been mates for donkey's years and I can see right through all yuh bullshit and lies. Accept it. I know it's hard that she chose the dick bag over you but that's fucking life."

I can feel my hands clenching into fists under the table. "Eli, drop it," I warn in a low tone.

But of course, the idiot doesn't heed my warning. "Y' don't scare me mate. Just calm the hell down. What I'm saying is harsh but it's the truth and someone's gotta tell y' how it is otherwise, you'll be stuck moping for the rest of your life."

Deep breaths, Wyatt. Deep breaths. He's your best friend, you don't want to punch him.

"If I go to this stupid party will you stop banging on about all this and drop it?" I sigh, giving in to his persistence. Well, sort of — I'm not actually going to go, I'll make up some excuse last minute.

He grins, making his lip ring reflect the artificial canteen lights. I'm still not sure how he managed to get away with having all his piercings when it goes completely against the dress code but that's Eli — he always gets what he wants.  I have a feeling he's been sleeping with the headmistress or something like that. I mean he's never outright told me but otherwise he surely would've been expelled years ago — his record isn't exactly clean (his school or criminal one).

The rest of the day goes by painfully slow but, finally, it does end.

I'm walking to my car, dying to get home so I can ride my motorcycle, when I accidentally bump into someone.

"Sorry," I say absentmindedly, still lost in thought.

"Ah no worries mate," the guy replies. I recognise that voice. I finally look at him and realise it's green eyes' friend — Max. He's a good guy, I'm glad she's friends with someone like him.

I'm about to walk on but I realise there's something off about him. He looks tired and worn out — well more so than most teenagers would anyway.

"Is everything alright?" I ask — a dumb question because no one would tell someone they barely know what's wrong.

He sighs and rubs the back of his neck. "Yeah, just school stress. Nothing you need to worry about," he grins but I can tell it's forced. Over the years I've gotten good at reading people and knowing when they're lying otherwise I wouldn't be good at it myself.

I breathe out slowly, thinking of how to word my reply. Why do I care about this? Easy because she'd want me to.

"Look, I know you don't know me that well but you're friends with Aurora so if something is wrong I'd like to help."

He looks a little stunned at my reply but quickly shakes it off, moving his gym bag from his right to left shoulder and swaying on his feet — a sure sign he's slightly uncomfortable about the topic at hand.

Nevertheless, he takes in a breath, hopefully meaning he's going to tell me what's wrong. "Funny you should mention her because she's the reason I'm so worried."

I can feel my heart rate quicken momentarily and an anxious feeling begin to form in my gut. "Is she okay?" I ask slowly, making sure to emphasise each syllable.

"Honestly? I don't think so. Look, I normally wouldn't say anything but I know you two were close so you have a right to know. It's this guy she's been seeing, River. There's something off about him but I can't put my finger on what. Anyway, Ari's been acting differently since she met him. I'm sure you've heard all the rumours and frankly I think most of them are true."

I take in a breath. I have heard them but I never believed them to be true. Everyone has been saying that the schools 'golden girl' has flown off the handles. That's she's gone crazy.

She's been going to parties and getting completely smashed day in and day out without rest. I heard she started smoking, something I know she was completely against. Apparently, she's been vandalising private property and doing drugs. Let's not forget that she's supposedly robbed small shops and been hooking up with guys left, right and centre.

Obviously, there's no way all this is true. "Surely that's not the case and everything has been exaggerated," I say, desperation clear in my tone.

Max shakes his head. "I don't think so mate. I mean a couple things probably have been but I know it's all true to some extent. I've witnessed a lot of it myself," he tells me solemnly.

"Then why I didn't you stop her!?" I all but shout at him, smashing my fist into a nearby locker to ebb my sudden anger.

He lets out a humourless laugh. "Don't you think I fucking tried," he tells me, each word laced with venom and anger but I don't think it's directed at me. "She won't listen. I don't know what's happened but it's liked someone has flipped a switch in her brain, she's no longer herself. The worst part is she doesn't even look happy anymore, just empty and doing anything that will give her a thrill."

I shake my head in disbelief. She couldn't have changed so much in only a few months. I know she wanted to reinvent herself but not like this. She wouldn't go this far.

"If you don't believe me go see for yourself. She'll be at Connor Hill's party tonight. I know you've been off the radar but you might want to see this."

I run my fingers through my hair in frustration. Looks like I have no choice.

I'm going to that party.

~*~*~

Soooo that happened — I finally did Wyatt's POV! How did you find it?

What are your thoughts on this chapter and what do you think will happen next?

Side note, I've had such a busy and hectic past two weeks and I'm so glad it's finally over and I can take a breather. I can only handle so much stress at one time 😂.

Well that's all for now, until next time, byeeeeee xx