11-I Hope Max And Mason Have Planned My Funeral

Chapter 11: I Hope Max And Mason Have Planned My Funeral

I spent the whole day with Wyatt, talking and having fun. I almost forgot what it was like to just feel free and not care for once. Sadly my carefree time is over and I have to face reality.

Wyatt was kind enough to drop me home but as I walk up the driveway I see something I was praying to avoid, Ava's car. Shit. Luckily, my mum is away for work, she left this morning, so I'm fine in that regard but Ava is another story. I hope Max and Mason have planned my funeral because I probably won't make it out of this alive.

I carefully walk up to the door and unlock it with the spare key that we keep under the doormat. Taking deep breaths, I open the mahogany door with a creaking noise. The lights are off and it's deathly silent; Alice and Hugo are probably both in their rooms on their phones but Ava is nowhere in sight.

Each footstep echoes throughout the house, the only noise to be heard, it's too quiet. As I'm searching I finally see the faint glow of a light in none other than my room. I cautiously open the door only to be welcomed with a stern and irritated looking Ava, just what I need.

I offer her a sheepish smile but she instantly shuts me down with a hard look, her arms crossed. I know I'm about to get a lecture so I make my way to sit on the sofa in my room and wait for her rant to start. As predicted it doesn't take long, seven seconds to be exact. "Where in God's name were you? I was so worried. How could you do that to me? I tried calling you a billion times and you didn't answer and when you finally picked up you just hung up on me. What the actual hell! Why? Why Aurora? It's just horrible to make someone worry like that. If you'd just told me that you were safe it would have been fine. Instead, you ignored me the whole day. Have you any idea how that feels? Who am I kidding, of course, you don't. You are ab–"

"Ava," I cut her off before she could go any further because I knew she was getting more flustered and agitated by the second. "Calm down, deep breaths. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that. If I were you I would've been worried sick, I see that now. So I'm deeply sorry, can you please forgive me," I say sincerely, giving her my best puppy dog eyes.

She just looks at me for a moment, contemplating her answer carefully. "Gah, alright. I forgive you, what are best friends for," she says and comes over to give me a hug which I return.

Once we've pulled away she goes and sits back on my bed and gives me a look that I can't place. "So tell me what happened. Where did you go? And also why did you ditch school? I can't recall you ever doing that before."

Shit. I knew this was coming but now it's here I'm not sure how to reply. Should I go for the honest approach or just lie. I can't lie to my best friend but I don't want to tell her everything. She doesn't need to know about our deal or how I'm changing myself for James. I know she'll just lecture me on the topic and tell me he's not worth it but to me he is. He's worth it and so much more. She's never been in love so she doesn't know what it's like. She can't relate to me on this topic so would give me advice from an outsiders point of view which is not what I need. So I'll tell her the truth but just leave out a few details, that's not technically lying.

"I can't remember much from the party if I'm honest but I do know I drank a lot. Turns out I got mad at someone and later passed out in their arms."

"Wait," Ava cut in, "let me get this straight, you got that drunk?"

I nod. You see, I have levels as to how drunk I get. Yes, I hardly drink but I have been dragged to parties before so I have drunk. The spectrum goes from where I'm a bit loopy and daft all the way to where I get extremely mad and irritated at everything. I was at the latter end of this scale last night, meaning I must've been extremely drunk.