Chapter Nine: We Meet Again

"I think we're the same size, you're just a little taller—and possibly thinner." Rita walked into her closet, flipping through rows of dresses for all occasions. Izzy had never seen so many clothes in her life. "And your coloring is similar to mine, so this should work."

"Really, Rita, you don't have to do this, I could stay here tonight. I don't want to intrude on your plans. Are you truly okay with me being here? I know it was a surprise."

Rita pulled her head out from in between the clothes to eye her. Since they'd last met, she'd cropped her hair short. It was perfectly curled, coiffed at her ears, giving her a mature look. "Don't be silly. I'm elated to have a friend to go with. I've only been here for a few short weeks myself. As far as the women at these parties are concerned, I'm an outsider. They know the ins and outs of Hollywood. In some ways, it's worse than fitting in in high school."

She carried out a glossy sapphire evening gown with a low dipped neck. "This will look lovely on you. It'll accent your collar bones."

"Oh my!" Izzy held the dress up to get a better look at it. "But, Rita, I've never been to anything like this before. I've lead a pretty boring life, come to think of it—at least up until recently. I wouldn't even know how to act or what to say. What do you say to a movie star?"

"First off, you compliment them on their work. I forced myself to memorize the starring roles of some of the actresses after my first Hollywood party with Warren. They were a little put off by my ignorance, I think. But, don't worry, most of their conversations are just superficial. These parties are all an act. Sort of an obligation. The more they mingle and get on each other's good sides, the better chance they have at getting a part in the next big film."

Izzy blinked. "How do you know all this?"

Rita pulled out a dark green gown with a low back for herself. "Warren's a film producer. He's done some great motion pictures. Remember Girl in the Clouds?"

"Oh yes! That was a good one! I saw it at the drive in last year." With Donny. She pushed that out of her mind. "Gosh, Rita. Your life is so exciting. It's strange, I feel as if I know you so well, but I really know nothing about you. Has your life always been this exciting, or did Warren introduce you to it?"

"My father's a senator. He has a lot of friends all over the place, friends with a whole lot of money." said Rita. "And my mother has family here in the hills. But, I've lived in Michigan my entire life. I've only visited here. And I've definitely never rubbed elbows with movie stars until I came here to live with Warren. It'll take some getting used to." She pushed Izzy towards the bathroom. "Come and try your dress on."

Izzy slipped into the dress in Rita's bathroom, wondering how Rita managed to keep it all together. Deep down she'd hoped to find Rita struggling with the same emotions she'd been plagued with since leaving the Saint Mary's Home for Unwed Mothers. But instead, she seemed so happy and confident—nothing like the girl she'd been when she'd seen her last.

She studied herself in the mirror. The dress did show off her collar bones and hugged all the right places. She'd never worn a dress so delicately made. The fabric was so sheer and soft—it must have cost a fortune.

"How does it look, Izzy? Come out and let me see," Rita called from the other side of the door.

She stepped out, spinning around.

Rita put her hands to her cheeks. "Oh, you look fabulous." She unclasped a diamond studded sapphire necklace from its stand on the counter. "This goes with that dress." She stepped behind Izzy to clasp it around her neck.

Rita's dress was flattering as well, wrapped around her thin figure. A string of pearls across her neck accented it. She smiled at Izzy. "We've come a long way from those awful grey dresses haven't we?"