37. "Just, please, don't hurt her."

A/N: Read the A/N at the bottom once ur done the chapter, it's really important.

-

MACKENZIE'S POV:

Neither Johnny and I bothered to talk on the way to my mom's house. The car was filled with silence. But it wasn't the awkward kind, it was actually quite comforting. I did a lot of talking and confessing today, and now I'm going to have to do even more. Having twenty minutes of silence was actually nice.

Johnny and I scrambled out of the car and to the front door. He locked the car from the doorstep, then stared at me. I took a deep breath, and knocked on the door twice.

We waited about thirty seconds, there was no answer. My mom probably had her earphones in, binging on Gossip Girl. She's been watching it for a while now, and texting me whenever she's finished a season.

I glanced over at Johnny, who was practically shaking. Now he knows how I feel, I lost count of the number of times I'd had anxiety from talking to him over the last 2 months. I gave him a reassuring smile, once again, knocking on the door.

My mom always liked Johnny. She knew he was a sweet boy, and would never do anything to hurt me. He treated me like a princess, he'd do anything I asked for. My mom knew this, and took interest in Johnny. Everything changed once I told her Johnny cheated on me with Nadia, of all people. 

The way I described him was terrible. I was angry, and poured out all of my thoughts to my mom, and called Johnny some nasty things. I don't think my mom will ever think of Johnny the same again. My mom forgiving him out of nowhere would be highly unlikely, my chances are weak, but I might as well try.

If Annie were to tell me to break up with Johnny, I wouldn't listen to her. But my mom is another story. I mean, she's my mom. Even though I'm an adult now, I have a daughter of my own, she still treats me like her baby. Short version, my mom's opinion matters. 

Johnny grabs one of my hands with his own, squeezing it. As we wait, his hold get's tighter and tighter. I warn him to let loose, my hand began heating up. He slowly, yet calmly eased his grip on my hand small hand.

My mom finally opens the door, dressed in a long sleeve shirt, and a pair of jeans. I smiled in satisfaction once I saw her outfit, she'd usually wear a pair of sweat shorts and the first tank-top she landed her eyes on. This is a completely different look for her, and I like it. In her arms, were a packet of chocolate chip cookies.

I chuckled, turning my gaze back up at her. She had widened eyes, looking between Johnny and I constantly. She awkwardly cleared her throat, laying the packet of cookies on the stairs and returning right after. Placing her hands on her hip, she finally spoke words neither Johnny and I had the courage to say. "What are you guys doing here?"

I quickly glanced over at Johnny, whose eyes were on the floor. I shot my head back at my mom, opening my mouth to speak words. But nothing really came out. 

I'm– as always– disappointed in myself. I built up the courage to drive over to my mom's house, seeking to tell her that I got back together with Johnny. I was proud of myself, and thought that I had finally become a confident woman. But I'm still just as much of a coward as I was two months.

I changed in a very short amount of time. I know that. I've become stronger. I came here to prove that to myself, so that's what I need to do.

I held my breath for a good second, pausing to think of a way to put this into words. I can't just yell it out of nowhere, that would just be inappropriate. Johnny noticed how nervous I was getting, and delicately massaged circles in my hand with his thumb. I calmed down, smiling at my mom. "Mom, I think we need to talk."