Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

                "Hey." I jumped in surprise and turned towards the door to see Nathan leaning in the doorway grinning at me.

                "What are you doing here?" I asked, placing my pencil down on the desk before standing up.

                "Well I was here to see Brayden but Ashley said that he was out, so I figured that I'd come say hi to you." He grinned.

                "Second choice. Nice to know." I grinned.

                "Well, you do realize that I have a lot of friends. Being second is saying something." He laughed and I joined him. I shook my head and crossed my arms as he walked towards me. "So, what are you up to?" He asked, walking past me towards my desk.

                "Pre-Calc homework."

                "Well that looks like fun." He said sarcastically as he turned back towards me. "You want to go do something?"

                "Like what?" I asked.

                "Hmm...let's go to the playground." He grinned.

                "The playground?" I asked with an unbelieving smile. "How old are you?"

                "Shut up and let's go." He walked past me, grabbing my arm and dragging me along with him. I sighed and yanked my arm back but continued to follow him. He led me outside and I jumped into his car as he walked around to the driver's side. Once he was in he pulled out of the driveway and started down the road.

                "Are we really going to the playground?" I smiled at him.

                "Yes. Do you have a problem with that?"

                "No." I said shaking my head humorously.

                "Good, because you didn't have a choice in the matter."

                I laughed lightly as he continued to drive. We sat in a comfortable silence until he arrived at the playground. He grinned at me before he jumped out of the car and sprinted towards the playground. Lucky for us the playground was completely empty because it's almost eight at night. Most kids are probably getting ready for bed right now. I laughed and jumped out of the car chasing after him. I followed him up the stairs and watched as he sat down on a slide, waiting for me to join him on the one directly at the bottom. I shook my head, an amused grin spreading onto my lips before I joined him.

                "Let's race." He grinned.

                "You're so immature." I laughed.

                "So what," he smiled sheepishly, "on the count of three. One."

                "Two."

                "Three," he shouted and we both rushed to get to the bottom. I have to say, I'm honestly not quite sure who won. It seemed like we got there at the same time. Still, I can't exactly let him know that. "I won!" I yelled, throwing my fists in the air and jumping up and down in excitement.

                "You did not." He insisted.

                "Oh yes I did," I laughed.

                "I say it was a photo finish." He put his head into the air haughtily.

                "Fine. Where's this photo?" I asked with a grin.