Chapter Three

I pulled my precalc and physics books out of my bag and set them into my locker neatly. I was always one to keep a neat locker because I couldn't stand it when I wasn't able to find something that I needed for school. When it came to home, that was a complete other story. I was a complete slob at home but at school I took it upon myself to remain neat. I grabbed the folder out of my locker that had the papers for Ashley and Ryan and was just about to shut it when someone leaned up against the locker beside me. I turned and rolled my eyes when I saw Nathan standing there.

"Yes?" I asked slightly annoyed. I didn't really want to deal with his annoying personallity right now.

"Oh, angry are we?" He laughed sarcastically.

"What do you want Nathan?"

"Nothing, I'm here for Brayden. He told me to tell you to meet him at the car after school so he can drive you home." He turned to a guy that was walking through the hallway. "Hey man"

"Sup?" The guy said as he walked over to us. "Who's your friend?"

"Oh, this is Sutton. She's bad news I wouldn't get too interested." He gave me a smile as his friend laughed and walked away. I glared at him angrily before I slammed my locker and started walking towards my last period Psych. and Soc. class. "Where you headed Sutton?"

"None of your business." I remarked angrily.

"Oh come on, it was a joke. Even he knew that." He said as he walked with me. "So are you going to meet Brayden after school or not?"

"Why didn't he just tell me himself?"

"Because I volunteered baby." I hated myself but my heart seemed to flutter when he called me baby. Seriously? He was such a jerk only five hours ago and now I was falling for his stupid act all over again. "So do you want me to give you some advice about surviving at this school?"

"Honestly? No, I could care less about surviving at this school..." I was cut off as Nathan decided to give me advice anyway.

"So I have noticed that you are hanging out with Avery a lot. Now that is a good move because everyone loves Avery but you are completely screwing that up by hanging around Tara. Seriously Sutton? Tara Michaels? She is that most uncool person that exists at this school and no matter how much you hang out with Avery, Tara will make everything worse."

"You know what Nathan? I don't care. I like Tara, she's nice and I'm not going to stop being nice to her because she's uncool. You know what, that's what I hate about high school. Everyone is categorized into these stupid archaic classes and if somebody would try to break through them high shcool would be so much better."

"And who's going to do that? You? What makes you think that you can make a differece in this school when today is your first day? Sutton, you may be a smart girl but you seriously lack any common sense. This school is not going to change because you feel like it should. This is how high shcool is and I thought that you would realize that by now. I mean, how many schools have you been at in the past two years? Five?" I didn't say anything and instead kept looking straight ahead as I walked towards class. "That's what I thought." Nathan gave me a smug grin before he turned and walked away.

He was right. I wanted to change the system of this school but how could I do it? Who would listen to a poor lowely foster girl? He was right about how I was ruining any chances of affecting the school by being friends with Tara. I hadn't realized this morning how unpopular she was but as the day progressed I realized that she didn't talk to anyone other than me and I sort of felt bad for her. No matter how much Nathan put her down there was no way that I would give up on Tara. I knew that she could be an amazing person if someone would just give her the chance and that's what I was going to do. Really, Tara was just like me. She felt alone in this world just like I did except that I was a little better at getting people to accept me. Tara just needed to gain some confidence in herself and everything would get better. At least I hoped it would.