Chapter One

"So Sutton, are you excited for school tomorrow?" Mrs. Lawrence asked as we all sat down for breakfast. Brayden sat across from me with Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence on either end of the table.

"Um...sure." I said with a slight smile as I ran my hand through my dark brown curly hair.

"Liar." Brayden said as he ate a piece of his omelete.

"Brayden!" Mrs. Lawrence exclaimed.

"What? Look at her, there is no way that she is excited about starting at a new school."

"Well, maybe you could help her. Sutton, Brayden is having a few friends over later for a little party. Would you like to join them?" She asked. I looked towards Brayden so see a slight frown formed on his face. He didn't want the new weird girl to go to his party but he knew that I had to. There was no way that I was going to say no to my new foster mom.

"Sure, that sounds like fun." I said but I didn't mean a word.

***

I could hear the music blaring from outside but I didn't want to leave my room. I didn't want to feel like the weird girl that crashed the party. No one liked me and Brayden definitely didn't want me there. Plus, I didn't know what to wear! Currently I had on flared jeans and a light purple tank top. I was unsure if this was good enough because I had never been to a party thrown by someone popular.

"Suton?" Mrs. Lawrence asked as she knocked on the door.

"Come in." I said as I ran my hand through my hair one last time.

"You look cute."

"Thank you Mrs.Lawrence." I said in relief. Well then I hope this outfit is good enough.

"Sutton, I must insist that you call me Ashley." She said with a kind smile. "Now Ryan and I are heading out and Brayden is downstairs as you probably know. Why don't you go join the kids? You'll have fun."

"Actually I was just getting ready to head down." I said with a smile.

"Great!" She said enthusiastically. "I'll walk you down."

I put on a fake smile as I followed Ashley down the stairs. My heart began to race and my palms were sweating. I wasn't exactly good with new people. I followed Ashley as she made her way through the swarms of people and towards the backyard. I thought this was supposed to be a small party! I wondered where we were going until I noticed Ashley was leading us towards where Brayden was sitting near the pool.

"Brayden we're going to be heading out then." Ashley said before she leaned closer and whispered. "Include Sutton!"

"I will." He mumbled.

"Have fun." Ashley said as she touched my shoulder before she made her way back out of the house. Slowly, I turned back towards Brayden and his friends to see them all staring at me.

"Everyone, this is Sutton." Brayden said as he waved his hand towards me.

"The foster kid." Brayden's girlfriend Peyton clarified.

"Yeah. Sutton this is Daymen, Liv, Christa and Nathan. You already know Peyton." He said as he introduced everyone.

Liv and Christa had cheerleading tank tops on, along with mini skirts which helped solidify the fact that they were on the cheerleading squad with Peyton. They were both petite but while Christa had straight, long dark brown hair, Liv's was a wavy, gorgeous fiery red color.

Peyton looked as beautiful as ever with her shoulder length blonde hair. Her bright blue eyes stood out because of her blue tank top. Her skin was just as porcelain and perfect as the last time I saw her. She was very slim and her cheekbones were perfectly sculpted. No one should look that perfect.