Chapter Nine

"Are you okay?" I jerked my head up towards Nathan who was now standing over me. I just couldn't seem to concentrate on anything today. My mind just kept going back to what Collin had said. He could ruin this brand new life that I had, just because of his big mouth. I was sitting here hating him to my core while Tara was talking and flirting with him like there was nothing wrong. Of course she didn't know that anything was wrong...but still. It was infuriating.

"I'm fine." I mumbled as I leaned back down over my burger that was picked apart across my tray. I wasn't in the mood to eat. I could't think of anything other than Collin.

"Seriously Sutton." Brayden commented. "You haven't eaten right for days." He said. Oh please, I only stopped eating yesterday. It's not like I was going to die in one day.

"He's right Sutton. Something is definitely wrong." Nathan replied.

"I'm fine. Would you guys just leave me alone?" I demanded before I quickly stood and hurried off into the hallway. They didn't understand. They didn't know who Collin was or what he could do. They didn't know him like I did. He was the type of guy that you really shouldn't trust because his past was even more shady than mine. I may have done some stupid crap in the past but Collin had done more. He did it and he did it willingly. He didn't have any qualms with the things he did but I did. I didn't want to be a part of that life anymore.

I walked into the girls bathroom and stood in front of the mirror. My heart was beating fast and I could feel my palms sweating. What was I getting myself into? How would everyone react when they found out? What would they say? I gulped as I tried to think of the answers. I knew that they definitely wouldn't be happy about any of it but maybe...just maybe they would give me another chance.

I was actually more worried about how the Lawrence's would react. Would they send me back if they found out who I used to be? Would they hate me? I tried to push those thoughts out of my mind for the rest of the day but I couldn't. I was so terrified that they wouldn't want me anymore. Collin had showed up and within a matter of a day he had turned my whole life upside down.

***

"Sutton will you please talk to me?" Brayden asked as he sat down next to me on the couch.

"About what?" I questioned.

"You know what!" He said knowingly. He was right. I did know what he meant but I really wasn't in the mood to talk about it. "What is going on?"

"Nothing."

"That's a lie. I think that I've known you long enough to notice when you're not being yourself. Sutton, we're all worried about you."

"Who's we?" I asked.

"Me, Nathan, Liv, Tara, even Collin seemed to notice that something was wrong with you." I sighed slightly and looked down at my hands that sat in my lap. Of course Collin noticed something, considering how he was the issue.

"Honestly Brayden, it's nothing that you have to worry about, okay? I'm just having a difficult couple of days." I saw his jaw clench in frustration before he slighlty nodded his head. I could tell that he didn't believe me but he was going to let it go for now.

"Alright, but I want you to know that if you ever need anyone to talk to, I am here. I am your big brother now." He laughed. It was nice to hear and even though I only considered Brayden to be a friend, it was nice to know that he thought of me as a sister. He smiled at me before he stood up and left the room. I smiled as I watched him go before I turned back towards the book that I had in my hand.

I sat staring at my book for a little longer, not able to concentrate on the words, before angrily closed it and set it beside me. This is ridiculous. Collin has only been here for a little while and he was already controlling the way I acted around my friends. They are my friends and I am not going to let him freak me out of talking with them. From now on I will just ignore Collin completely and have fun with my friends. It is my senior year after all.