Mehnit didn't approach her, she set herself down next to me when I appeared again.

My mother looked up from her phone. She looked at the brush in my hand. "Come here, I'll brush your hair like I used to."

I didn't hesitate. I sat down on the floor in front of where she was on the couch with my back to her. She began to brush my hair gently when I handed her my brush.

The action was soothing. When I was young she had often brushed my hair for me and styled it for school.

Or were those fake memories?

"I tried calling you earlier, it went straight to voicemail. Where is your phone?"

I grabbed my plate of tofu teriyaki and began to eat. "I lost it," I lied. "I'm getting a replacement soon." It was a lie. I chucked it into the garbage disposal in my kitchen sink when Damien wouldn't stop texting me if I was all right.

I wasn't needed in the Underworld, at least. So I used the days to keep to myself and eat my weight in ice cream.

I only wanted to go back if I was needed and for nothing else. Damien and Oren respected that at least.

Julian went to the Keep every day asking to speak to me. And every day, at my request, Oren turned him down.

I couldn't face him again. Not after what happened in Skryen.

"Hmm," she said as she lovingly ran her fingers over my scalp. "Hopefully you get to keep the same number." She cleared her throat. "So, are you going to tell me what's happening or are we going to keep up the fake small talk?"

I sighed and shoved a piece of tofu in my mouth. "I don't want to talk about it."

"Damien says you've been ignoring him for days."

I scoffed. "Snitch."

Mom laughed quietly. "What happened between the two of you? Are you fighting? All new couples fight, it's natural."

I shook my head. "It's not like that. We're not together and we're not fighting. We knew it wouldn't work between us." I sighed. "It's not Damien."

"Hmm," she said quietly. "I saw you were eating dairy, Emmy, this is about a boy, isn't it?" I heard her quietly laugh. "I was wondering when we'd have a boy talk when you were growing up."

I laughed at her statement. If Julian was a boy, then, at twenty-two, I was barely an infant. Julian was a proper man. It would figure that I would fall for a man that was out of my league.

And, boy, did I fall. I fell hard.

And I was sitting in my living room, depressed because I was too much of a coward to admit my feelings when I had the opportunity.

"I had my chance and I blew it," I shrugged. "He's with someone else. And I'm no one to stop his happiness if that's what he wants."

I could see her reflection in the TV in front of us. She was frowning. "I'm sorry, honey. It's okay to grieve but you can't stay in your apartment forever."

I hugged my knees to my chest. "I know."

I frowned. "I'm not. It's only been a week."

"Damien says he hasn't seen you in weeks."

I blinked. I thought it had only been days, not weeks. Gods, I was pathetic.

My mother tsked. "Even if it didn't work with him, there's no reason to give up on love. You're a beautiful, powerful young woman. And a queen, no less. Any man would be very fortunate to be with you." She kissed the top of my head. "One boy doesn't and shouldn't change that."

I sighed heavily, wrapping my arms around my knees that rested again my chest. "Oh, Mom. If only it were that simple."

"Sometimes it is." She sighed. "Im scared for you, Emylin. After everything you've been through, I don't want you to be alone."

I bit my lip. That sounded strangely familiar.

"You've pushed your father and I out, Emylin, and while I can try and understand it, I don't like it. If things are awkward with Damien, I can understand that too, but don't stay alone Emylin. You should talk to someone."

I swallowed. "Talk to someone I can trust."

"Yes," she answered. "Someone you can trust. Who can help you in ways your normal human parents can't, if that's what you want."

I turned towards her and found her smiling. "You've flourished Emmy." She pressed a kiss to my forehead. "I couldn't be prouder. You're stronger than just staying and hiding in an apartment. Don't let this experience discourage you from finding love."

I shrugged, looking away. "I guess you're right."

She smiled. "There are many fish in the sea. What happened to Chris?"

I shrugged, turning back to the TV. "I'm supposed to start an internship with him soon."

She gently squeezed my shoulders with a smile. "His mom says he wouldn't stop talking about you."

I rolled my eyes. If only it were that easy. "I don't know if I can really do that. I still have so much to learn and I don't think I'm ready to start deceiving someone. How am I going to start the conversation? 'Hey, I didn't ghost you but I'm a faerie now.'"

I saw her reflection in the TV shake her head. "Don't be discouraged, Emmy. I'd be surprised that they're not lining up now that you're single."

I rolled my eyes again, my thoughts drifting to a person in particular. "If you only knew."

Ugh, I know

Ugh, I know. Another filler chapter. I hope I can get to the action soon enough.

Queen of the Underworld | Book 3On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara