- e l e v e n -

" We don't talk enough, We should open up, Before it's all too much. Will we ever learn? We've been here before, It's just what we know. "
- Harry Styles
( Sign Of The Times )

KAI COACHMAN
[September 3rd 2020]

We were at some fast food place that sold Pizza, sitting in a clean red shiny booth with a solidly clear window wall to the right. I sat in the middle with Elliot to my right and Finnick on my left with our respective mates on the other side of the table, facing us.

Finnick was wearing a blush, preoccupying himself with sucking on his drink that was literally already gone but I assume it was his way of avoiding the glare that Killian wore. Elliot, on the other hand, was coloring with a blue crayon on the children's menu that the waitress brought to us no longer than seven minutes ago. He, similarly to a Finnick, didn't want to meet Elijah's questioning gaze.

I was doing this thing where I looked down at my lap and played with the loose strings from the rips in my jeans then I'd momentarily, and very quickly, glance up at Declan then I'd regret it and look back down. Declan was livid, actually, that's an understatement; the man was steaming. And I don't mean steaming in the way where he's hot as fuck and is steaming, I mean he's so pissed that I think he'd actually consider breaking the table and the booths itself in half and slap the broken pieces into the face of everyone here.

Would that be a hot sight to see? Hell yes. Did I want him to do it? Fuck no.

"Care to explain what the fuck you think you were doing, Cub," Declan chewed out with irritation.

I look up and I see his once unique blue eyes shifting into the color black and that's when I knew I was in deep shit. I scowled inside, mentally blaming May for putting us all in this situation. May is automatically the cause of my problems from now on and no one can tell me otherwise.

I flinch slightly, the anger as he spat out 'cub' lightly puncturing my heart. I would never admit this out loud but when he called me cub my heat did these weird flips that had me feeling overwhelmingly giddy. It made me feel special as the term of endearment was only used for me and it was like it was our exclusive thing. To hear him spit out the pet name like that really shredded my insides.

"It was Mays fault," Elliot muttered, playing with the crayon in his hand.

"How is Kai's locking lips with my fucking mate Mays' fault?" Killian raged and Finnick pouted slightly as he lowered his head at Killian's tone despite it not being directed towards him.

I glared slightly.

"You can calm down now, it was a harmless kiss," I said, directing my attention to Killian.

I hate whenever people made Finnick feel smaller than he already thought of himself. Of course he was getting better and better with his social anxiety and the problems he faced internally, but he was still the same boy I bumped into in junior year when the biggest fight of the century was occurring. He was the stuttering adorable kid I instantly knew I wanted to be friends with. He was still Bolt.

I knew Killian didn't mean any harm by the anger that laced his tone because he loved Finnick and he made it known every single day, something I hated because ew romance, but I liked it as well knowing my best friend had someone who loved him. But Finnick most likely felt guilty and Killian's rage didn't help in that.

Besides, it was Mays fault.

"It's not a harmless kiss when I catch my mate smacking lips with someone who isn't me," Declan said, his voice was deeper and holding a whirlwind of different feelings.