t w o

(A/N: please leave some inlined comments if you can! they make my day.)

The informality from the phone call guided me in deciding what to wear. Since his voice was casual, I decided on a casual outfit.

I threw on some jeans and a t-shirt, fixed my makeup and hair, and grabbed a sweater before heading out the door.

The November air was chilly and nighttime was certainly too cold to drive with the windows down. The gas tank flashed red, and I used my last $20 bill to fill up whatever I could. Sighing, I continued driving in the dim light of Texas.

Living near San Antonio, I was used to bright lights and constant chatter. However, the pizzeria was located in an open field miles away. I had some trouble spotting the restaurant, and I was almost certain I was at the wrong one.

Expecting a fun and enticing children's arcade, I was instead greeted with a dark and dank building. The pizzeria was only a couple hundred square feet in size, nothing too grand, and the interior was dead and chilling. Window panes were foggy and scratched, and odd, mismatched colors painted the place.

A small lamp flickered inside, where the silhouette of a man appeared. Opening the door, he walked over to me with a grin plastered on his face.

"Hello, hello! So glad you could make it."

I shivered in the frigid cold weather, shaking his hand and rubbing my arm through my sweater with my free hand.

"Of course..." Only then was when I realized I never got his name.

"The name's Mike. Hey! Let me show you around."

I followed him inside where it was no warmer than outside.

He let out a timid chuckle. "The heaters, along with the air conditioning, are broken. The manager said something about the electricity bill spiking. Anyway, here's the dining area. Only the bestest of the best birthday parties are held here! That's the stage, those are the bathrooms if you ever need them, and those aisles are the east and west halls."

Noticing the curtain, I pointed at the stage. "What's behind it?"

Letting out another nervous chuckle, he clawed at his nape. "Those are the... animatronics."

"Animatronics?"

The shift in the air was evident, and Mike's usual quirky demeanor changed to one more reserved and quiet. "Well, you see, they are the... fellas you need to watch during the night. They're very friendly! My nephew loves them, but if they see you after hours, they'll probably think you're an endoskeleton missing a suit. Their facial recognition is a little... off. Their sight isn't too great in the dark either, which doesn't help much. Well, that's probably a good enough reason to conserve power." He forced a laugh. I didn't laugh with him.

Eyeing the curtain, I gulped. "Couldn't they be... turned off?"

"Um, that's the thing. We would if we could. It would save us on money and power, but their servos get locked up if left shut off for too long. So, they're left on a free roaming mode of some sort. I-I'm sure you'll be fine, though."

I eyed the velvet curtains. "Right..."

I followed him down the eery west hall.

"They use to walk around the day, too, but then there was the bite of '87," Mike informed.

I reeled my head back. "I'm sorry, what?"

"Yeah. It's crazy how the human body can live without the frontal lobe, y'know?"