⁰⁹, A TOWN MEETING TO REMEMBER

Start from the beginning

  "What?"

  "You just suggested that we go to school." Jess visibly relaxed as her face lit up, "No one had to nag you or ask you, you just suggested it! Wow, maybe I am a good influence."

  "I hate to be the one to break this to you, Connecticut," Jess laughed out, "But you're not a good influence."

  "I'm a great influence!"

  "You got me high my second week here."

  "Oh, bite me."

  Jess laughed as Charlie took off towards the high school, catching up to her easily. She hesitated before walking through the doors, as she'd been doing since the Emma incident, but Jess only hoped his juvenile prank had done the one thing it was meant to.

  That, maybe, Charlie would be too busy wondering how Taylor would react and what Rory would say, that she wouldn't even have time to think about Liam.

  Which seemed to work until they actually entered the building, and right in front of her locker like an annoying lawn decoration were the people in question.

  "Charls—"

  "I can't do this today, okay?"

  "Charlie," Liam sighed, making the girl falter. It was easy to be mad at Emma. Charlie could block her out and ignore her texts— they fought about little things and the Gilmore girl had the routine down.

  But Charlie had never not talked to Liam. She'd never ignored him or steered clear; he was the constant.

  "Nobody meant to hurt you."

  "But, you did."

  "I know," Liam almost grimaced, "I can't. . . express how sorry I am."

  "Yeah, there's not a lot goin' up in there, is there?"

  Liam glared harshly at Jess, who stood behind Charlie with a small smirk.

  "You're not her bodyguard, Mariano."

  "Hey, I'm bein' a better friend than either of you."

  "We've known Charlie since Kindergarten," Emma snapped, "You can't swoop in and act like some savior—"

  "Never said that—"

  "The point is," Liam cut off, sighing tiredly, "I'm really sorry, Charlie. I'm sorry for everything. I didn't lie when I said you're my best friend. And I don't want to lose you because I made a mistake."

  Emma winced, but neither Charlie nor Liam saw that.

  "I never said I was going anywhere," Charlie mumbled to the tile floor, "I was just. . . really. . . really hurt."

  "C'mere, Charls."

  It seemed their added company could agree on one thing; neither of them quite liked how tightly Liam was holding onto Charlie. Her face was buried in his chest and his arms easily wrapped around her shoulders, tucking her chestnut hair to the back of her Belle and Sebastian t-shirt, and they looked almost right. Like, that was the way they were meant to be.

  Together. In every sense.

  "Can I get my stuff from my locker now?" Charlie asked, laughing quietly, "We have to get to homeroom."

  "Only 'cause you asked so nicely."

  Jess and Charlie stood in the town square, the former leaning against a light pole, watching the prank unfold before their very eyes. He'd been quieter than normal throughout the day, but against what Charlie thought, Jess was still waiting for her after her last period.