Chapter 13 (unedited)

Selena's POV

I grit my teeth as I yanked against the chains, crying out in anger. I kept yanking and pulling on the chains, until I heaved a sigh, plopping down onto the ground in defeat. I was never going to get out of my imprisonment. I had almost accepted my fate; I was going to die by the hands of Voldemort.

Almost.

I scanned the room, trying to look for something that might help me break free. Nothing was in my reach, and I couldn't just get a sword and break these chains. They were enchanted with some sort of spell, impossible to break and destroy. Something that I wouldn't even be able to break if I had my wand.

You might as well just give up, My mind told me. I snarled, thrashing around in the chains with frustration. "Never!" I spat. Give in...Use your powers to your advantage.

I paused, realizing that that wasn't just my mind. Someone was talking to me through my mind.

Give in? Use what powers to my advantage? I tried to decipher what the message meant, closing my eyes and struggling to think. Who are you? What do you mean?! I replied, asking the voice in my head. People only see what they want to see, It responded. I grit my teeth, pushing my mind to try and figure out what the words meant.

Long moments passed, but my mind seemed to have gone dormant. I had absolutely no idea how to get myself out of here.

Bang! Bang! Bang!

I froze, staring with wide eyes at the wooden door, shaking and quivering from the force of the blows. The whole room echoed with the deafening booms. My body trembled with fear, dreading the moment of my execution. I was going to die; there was no point in denying it now.

I thrashed and kicked and squirmed and jerked around, shrieking with panic and determination. The chains didn't let loose, but I wasn't going to give up. I kept kicking my feet and yanking, crying out in frustration. I glanced at the door, and with a heavy blow, it was ripped from the hinges and knocked down.

When I was in the cell with Percy, we both swore that we'd rather die than join Voldemort. Now that I was facing my execution, I didn't feel so brave now. I quivered with fear, trying to take deep breaths and composing myself. If I was going to die, I was going go down fighting.

But instead of Voldemort, I saw a young boy, maybe the same age as Percy. His pale, blonde hair was gelled back and his bright silver eyes seemed to dart around the room in fear. He must've been a new recruit to Voldemort's followers. He quickly ran over towards me, his wand by his side. I didn't know why he just used the Alohomora spell to unlock the door, when I realized the door probably had some sort of charm on it. If Voldemort wanted his newest recruit to kill me, then why would he have the break down the door? It seemed ridiculous to ask his death eaters to kill someone when they can't even open the door.

As soon as he reached me, I pounced on him, knocking him over in surprise. With my knees against his chest, I used one leg to kick his wand away from his hand. As he was getting out of his shock, I punched him in the chin, causing him wince and groan in pain. He squirmed and wriggled as he stretched his hand to grab his wand, but I drove my knees deeper into his chest, causing him to yelp.

"I won't kill you, I promise," I assured him. "But, you have to free me from these chains, or else I'll kill you." I warned. He glared at me, as if he were the one who wasn't pinned down by a 13 year old girl. "That's what I was going to do, before you kicked me in the face." He hissed. I paused, staring at him in disbelief. "W-What do you mean?" I asked. He ignored my question and struggled to reach his wand.

"If you'd let me get my wand, I know the counter-spell to get you outta there," He said. I started to lift my knees from his chest, before I began to realize: This is a trick. I growled at him, sinking my knees deeper into his chest. "You think I'd fall for that?!" I spat, as he winced in pain as my knees dug into his rib cages. "No, I thought you'd be smarter than that," He said. "Why would you think I knocked down the door if Voldemort sent me to kill you? He would've given me the key, and I would have no trouble coming in here. If I was going to kill you, I wouldn't have walked right over towards you," He scowled, glaring at me.

I returned the glare, before I reluctantly pushed off of him, sinking my knees even deeper into his chest in anger before I lifted my knees. He cried out in pain and relief as he stumbled for his wand. The wiser part of me knew that this could go horribly wrong. As soon as he would reach his wand, if he'd been lying, I probably wouldn't live to see another minute. But my heart desperately wanted to trust him, hoping that he wasn't lying.

He picked up his wand, before turning back towards me. "Crucio!" He yelled, pointing his wand towards me. In my moment of surprise I was knocked down as the spell hit my chest, causing immense pain to spread through my body. I cried out in anger, thrashing around and twitching as waves of pain washed over me, my entire body aching and hurting. It felt as if my blood was suddenly replace with fire, burning its way through my veins. I had been wrong. He was lying.

People only see what they want to see.

Suddenly, I now understood. The Mist, the magical veil that prevents Mortals from seeing mythical beings. Mortals only saw what they wanted to see. They would even think that monsters exist in their world because their stubborn minds refused to believe it. I remembered Percy talking about camp, and how the Hecate cabin could control the Mist, because of their mother. Percy's two friends, Thalia and Hazel, could control the Mist at their will to use to their advantage. Hazel had once told Percy that the trick to controlling the Mist was to show what they wanted to see.

At first I thought my mind was going insane, but it was my only chance. I noticed the Crucio spell wearing off, before the boy yelled another spell, a streak of light flying towards the chains. Slowly, cracks in the metal spread among the chains, like a virus slowly infecting your blood system. Then, with a sharp crack!, the chains fell off my wrists, leaving tiny pieces of metal scattered on the floor.

"W-What-," I started. He smirked at me, stretching out his hand to help me up. I grudgingly took it, as he yanked me upward and almost threw me into the ceiling. With a yelp of surprise, I winced as my shoulder slammed into the floor. "I didn't expect you'd be so light," He said. I pretended to ignore his comment and got myself back to my feet. "If you were going to help me, did you have to torture me first?" I spat. He shrugged, glancing at the door. "Just payback. But we have to hurry, before Voldemort finds out that you're gone. Your execution is supposed to be in a few hours," He explained. He turned to leave, grabbing my wrist and pulling me towards the door, but I yanked my hand away walked up to stand beside him.

"I can walk by myself, you know." I retorted. "And what about Percy? I have to go back to rescue him!" The boy shook his head, glaring at me. "We don't have time. We have to-," I stopped, jerking him around to face me. "You should've rescued Percy first! He's in trouble," I scolded. "You're the one who was going to be executed! Besides he already-," He paused, before he turned around and started to run down the corridor. "Wait!" I hissed quietly, running to catch up. "What do you mean?" I whispered. He didn't reply, stubbornly keeping his head forward. "What do you mean?!" I whispered again, a little louder this time.

He glanced at me, before he slowed to a jog. "We don't have-," He stopped when he saw my angry face, and sighed.

"He already left,"

I really admire your determination, as it truly is inspiring. I can't believe you're still here with what's been going on, and all the notifications you must've gotten from me editing my chapters almost 24/7. If you've already decided to quit on this book once and for all, well, I can't say I blame you. I've been a terrible author, and it's been such a long time since I've updated. I hope you guys forgive me, but I can't promise that I'll update more frequently. But I worked hard on this chapter, with my busy schedule, and I hope you guys enjoyed it! x3