Chapter 8 (unedited)

Selena's POV

"Come on!" Percy screamed at me. I stood paralyzed in my spot, staring at Percy's worried face. I reached into my pocket and pulled out a small metal figurine, a statue of the god Hades. "It... It was for Nico. It was the only statue he didn't have," I explained. For some reason, I knew that Nico Di Angelo was my little brother. Guilt weighted me down, for leaving Nico alone and joining the Hunters. I was a horrible sister.

"How can you think of Mythomagic at a time like this?" He asked. I felt tears welling up in my eyes, threatening to spill. "Throw it down. Maybe the giant will leave us alone." Percy suggested. Reluctantly, I dropped it, hoping the giant wouldn't hurt anyone. I looked up as the Giant tried to strike the satyr, only missing by a few feet.

A huge mountain of junk came toppling over the satyr, and he disappeared from sight. "No!" Someone yelled. A demigod pointed her spear at the giant and a blue arc of lightning shot towards the giant. The giant collapsed, but instantly got right back up.

I felt tears streaming down my face, knowing that all this was completely my fault. If I hadn't taken the figurine, nothing would've happened. "Crazy-idea time," Percy exclaimed, staring at the giant. "Anything," I said desperately. Percy explained about the maintenance hatch and how maybe we could control the monster.

"How? You'll have to stand under its foot! You'll be crushed." I argued. "Distract it. I'll just have to time it right." He explained. I couldn't let him go. This was my fault, and I'm going to fix it. "No. I'll go," I demanded. "You can't! You're new at this. You'll die!" Percy protested. "It's my fault the monster came after us. It's my responsibility,"  I told him. I stared, determined to get my friends to safety.

I picked up the metal figurine and handed it to Percy. "If anything happens, give that to Nico. Tell him... Tell him I'm sorry." I said. Percy reached his hand to stop me, but I didn't hesitate. I charged the giant, my worry turning into determination. "Bianca, no!" Percy screamed. But it was too late.

~•~

I groaned as I woke up from the dream, my entire body sore and exhausted. "Percy?" I asked. I glanced around, but I didn't see any trace of Percy. "Percy?!" I asked, frantically.

"I have figured out who is stronger."

With horror, I tried to stand up, but chains around my wrists pulled me back down. In the distance, I saw all sorts of weapons lined up in rows on the walls, ranging from spears and scythes to daggers and knives. My ankles were tied together with sturdy rope, biting my raw skin.  

I could vividly remember my split mind, arguing back and forth. I almost gave in to killing Percy, and I could've accidentally killed him. I couldn't believe how weak I had been. Voldemort was never this strong before. He was never able to do this. 

But if this continued, Voldemort would be unstoppable.