Chapter 8: The Proceeding

"Ms. Annabelle," The judge intertwined his fingers and looked at me. "Do you have any proof?"

"As a matter of fact," I gave one quick look to the Walkers who were sitting proudly. "yes, we do have proof."

Watch out Walkers, you're about to go down.

I could see from the corner of my eye that the family scoffed when I told the judge that I have proof against them.

"But, I would prefer that only you watch it. The witness doesn't want it's identity disclose in front of the Walkers. I hope you'll respect their privacy."

The judge nodded as I passed him the video confession of Dr. Mason which we have secretly recorded. After watching it, the judge's face changed." A new light has been shown to this case which is definitely against the Walkers. "

"What rubbish!" Mr. Walker stood up.

"This is a court, Mr. Walker." The judge looked at him. "Behave yourself."

"Can you show me what the evidence is? I can assure you that It's all a lie - some made-up stuff by this mental patient and her friends."

We all could feel him lose his cool.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Walker. After watching this, it's important to not disclose the witness's identity to your family."

"We have one more proof," I was really liking how the tables were turning around. "Remember how Mr. Walker told the court that the family has adopted Zack? Well, if they really have adopted him from the 'Adopt a Pet, Save a life', they should have the adoption papers and the certificate along with Zack's medical history. The shelter gives all this to the adopter. If you don't believe me, you call to check with the shelter. "

"What does any of this has to do with the case?" Mr. Walker said in defense.

Oh, you'll see.

The judge asked to call the animal shelter. The manager confirmed what I was saying.

"Well, Mr. Walker, do you have the papers?"

"Why do you-"

"Do you have the papers, Mr. Walker or not?"

"N- I mean yes, we have."

"Where are they?"

"T- they are, they are,"

They are what, Rob Walker? How can you have them when you didn't even adopt him?

"We haven't adopted Zack from the Silvermoon's shelter, we have adopted him from this place called RedLake hills."

"Either way, do you have the papers?" The judge wrote something down.

"We - hmm" He was really trapped now.

"I have them." Mrs. Walker rose with the papers in her hands.

Wait, how? How can you have the papers? Is this another made up evidence? It has to be.

The judge looked at the papers. Noted something down and said, "These are official papers."

What? I have to do something.

"Your honor, can we please call the RedLake shelter?"

"That's unnecessary. You have papers. It has been proved that we have adopted Zack."

"But a cross-verification won't hurt, Mr. Walker." I could tell that the wise-looking judge was becoming wise.

The digits were dialed from the contact number mentioned on the adoption papers. 'The number you're calling does not exist.' came the reply. Another number was tried. But the same.

"Mr. Walker,"

"I don't know, but we have adopted him. But I don't see why this has anything to do with the case. They clearly are making it up as a diversion. They don't have any proof."

I saw Jason nodding at Kevin. We still haven't decided how will we prove that Liam's alright to stand, so, Jason and Kevin came up with the idea that we'll do that in the old school way.

"Oh, we're not making anything up, Mr. Walker," I evil grinned. "You are. The place, the papers, everything you said before, everything's a lie."

"Ms. Annabelle, do you have any proof of what you're saying?" The judge suddenly became interested.

"Yes, your honor, and I'll tell that in just a few minutes. Remember when I told everyone in the courtroom that Liam twisted my wrist when I was about to call the animal welfare? And how Mr. Walker told us that Liam cannot even stand? Well, -"

"Aahh" Liam screamed and got up. "It's hot! You stupid idiots!" Kevin and Jason deliberately spilled hot coffee on Liam's lap when no Walker was watching.

"Sorry about the mess, your honor," I apologized. "but, there you have it. Another lie."

"Mr. Walker," his tone got serious, "Want to explain? Lying to the court is a serious crime."

"He - he got well this morning and now he's able to stand up."

"Really?" The judge was not buying it. "Do you think I'm a fool, Mr. Walker?" He faced me. "Ms. Annabelle, what was it that you were getting at?"

"Your honor, to prove that Zack does not have any glucose problem, Marissa's dad is a vet who would like to test Zack, if you permit."

"Permission granted."

Marissa's dad came and began checking Zack and took a sample of Zack's blood. When he was done, he said, "Your honor, Zack looks perfectly fine but undernourished to me. Regardless I have collected his blood sample. The reports will come after an hour."

"Your honor," I was afraid that the Walkers will definitely try to manipulate the reports. We cannot take any chances. "Just to have it fair, can we take everyone's phones, and can we restrict anyone from going outside or coming inside? I'm afraid that the Walkers will try to change the reports or something."

"Why will we change the reports?" Mr. Walker started to sweat.

"Mr. Walker, Ms. Annabelle is right. Considering this case full of twists and lies, it's better to take everyone's phones or any means of communication."

"But, why will we - it's -"

"Mr. Walker if you are truthful, there's nothing to get scared of and besides, a little precaution won't hurt."

I laughed inside looking at Walker's faces.

One hour passed by and we all eagerly waited for the reports. The reports finally came in. Marissa's dad walked in the courtroom and said," Your honor, as I said, Zack is undernourished. This report proves that and also that Zack does not have any medical condition." He handed over the report to the judge.

"What you have to say to this, Mr. Walker?"

"We're the victims. When Ms. Annabelle told you that we can manipulate the reports, how can we trust her and her friends that they didn't meddle in with the reports? After all, this vet is Marissa's father. I bet they must have changed the reports. "

"Your honor," It was high time to end this nonsense discussion case. "Can I have your permission to ask one question to Mr. Walker?"

The judge nodded.

"Mr. Walker, who is Mrs. Selena Robinson Walker?"