Chapter 6: Gathering The Evidence

"Thanks, Kevin. You saved us." I smiled as we all thanked him.

"That went horribly. We were so wrong about the Walkers." Jason said pacing back and forth. "They had it all planned out. Now, what will we do? We have no proofs against them. Even though Kevin bought us some time, thanks, Kevin, but we still have nothing that would turn the tables around."

"Well," I said stopping Jason in his tracks. I was so furious with the Walkers that I wished that I was the cursed Annabelle doll so that I could make Walker's life a living hell. "If we do not have proof, that doesn't mean we cannot create it." I started to think like the Walkers. I wanted to win this case - badly but not by lying like those cheaters.

"What do you mean?" The group leaned in as my voice began to turn into a whisper. I don't want to talk about any chances this time.

"You all saw how Mr. Walker roasted me. But on the bright side, we now know what kind of 'fake' proofs he has against us. So, all we have to do is to prove those proofs fake."

"Let's begin by giving Mr. Mason a visit. He'll be surprised to have his 'mentally ill' patient. " Marissa smiled and put one hand on my shoulder. "Let's go."

                        - - - - - - -

"I didn't know that I had a mental illness," I banged my hands on my so-called family doctor's table. "Dr. Mason?"

"Annabelle, nice to see you." I could feel his voice shiver as he pushed his feet on the ground making the chair move backward. "What are you talking about?"

"Don't act so innocent, doc," Kevin confronted him. "We know what you did - giving false information about your patients."

"Look, I know what I did was wrong but Mr. Walker threatened me that if I don't do what he tells me to, he would harm my daughter. I had no choice."

"Can you give a statement, Mr. Mason?" Marissa said. "We could really use it in court. If you did not speak the truth, then an innocent poor life will be a victim of cruelty and all four of us would go to jail for sticking to the truth."

"I really hate to disappoint you, but as much as I really want to help you, I cannot. I love my daughter. They are very dangerous people. I'm sorry."

"It's ok." I forced a smile before we left.

"Did you get that?" Marissa asked Jason. He nodded as he pressed the stop button.

Since the court wants proofs, proofs are what we'll give them all.

"Next stop," Kevin said with a victory smile, "Adopt a pet, save a life."

                         - - - - - - - -

"Good afternoon, sir," I said, as we sat in the chairs in the manager's cabin of the animal shelter. "Did you have a golden retriever dog who you gave to a family called Walkers?" The shelter manager was a kind, middle-aged man, with little strands of white hair.

"I'm sorry, dear, I'm afraid I cannot reveal that information. It's against the policy."

I stared at the floor, disappointed.

"Well, if it helps, we give all the adopter parents a certificate and a thank you note."

An idea struck me while the manager was telling me that. "Do you also provide the adopted animal's medical history to them too?"

He nodded.

Jackpot!

We all thanked him for his patience and help.

"Guys, do you know what this means?" Kevin whispered excitedly after we got out of the cabin. "All we have to do is search for that certificate and the medical history and we'll prove them wrong!"

"Hate to break your bubble bro," Jason interrupted, "Don't you think that the Walker will have that in their house? We cannot go in there."

It's true. We cannot go near the Walkers. They must have tight security. Unless...

"What?" Marissa looked at me. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"We cannot go in there, but we can be there." I side smiled.

The boys looked at me lost but Marissa understood. As I said, we were the champion duos of the Charades, she knew what I meant.

"Excuse me, girls? Care to explain to the lost boys, here?" Jason pointed towards him and his brother.

"Planting bugs!" Marissa said with an evil smile.

"The Walkers can be a hacker, hacking our phones but we have a computer expert to counteract them. And Jason," I said, "bring that chemical of yours with you that got you in the Chemical Council. I'm getting a feeling that we might need it."

"One problem though, how will we enter the house to plant the bugs?" Jason scratched his neck.

"Leave it up to me, bro." Kevin joined Marissa with that evil smile.

I think Jason got a hint of what his brother was up to by looking at his hilarious expression!