Chapter 22

"Ahsan, wait what are you saying? I honestly don't know what you are talking about? But why would he insult Aliya? I am sure you are misunderstanding!" 

"If it was just for me then I would have believed it to be a misunderstanding but not with Aliya! Not with Aliya, Inaya. And why don't you ask Matt yourself on why he is creating the misunderstandings in the first place. This must not happen again! Bye!"

"Ahs-" She couldn't continue to speak because Ahsan didn't let her continue, he rung up straight after finishing what he had to say. 

 "Oh God what was this? Why on earth would he think of you--?" She stopped and then approached Matt with a questioning look on her face. 

"Wait... Matt? Did he call on my phone the other day when I was busy in the kitchen?"

"Yes." 

"And you lied to me that it was a wrong number!" Inaya was furious. "So that's why when I tried to contact him all this time since then he didn't respond because he was bloody angry on me for being so ignorant. I can't believe you did this!"

"Inaya let me..."

"No Matt no! Also, what did you say to him? Wait forget him, what did you say for Aliya?" 

"I asked him to not contact you again because I thought you already moved on after so much difficulty. Then the other day you were speaking to Aliya and I thought maybe he made her contact you because of what I said to him so in haste I messaged him to stop Aliya as well. Look Inaya, I am sorry, I wasn't intending to create a mess. I..." 

Interrupting him Inaya spoke: "I am unable to understand, why did you bring Aliya in all this? What has that poor girl done to you or our relationship even? Matt, I have been in contact with her since the day I came to Canada, this wasn't sudden. Ahsan is very sensitive about his family and the person you chose to hurt was his sister and I am not even surprised at his reaction knowing what you did. I am just so disappointed."

"Trust me Inaya, I didn't want all this mess. I just didn't want him to come back to your life when after constant battling you moved on from your past. Our relationship is new, it is steadily working out and I just didn't want an obstacle. Yes maybe I was quick to act so aggressive towards Ahsan and Aliya but trust me I meant no harm. I was just protecting you."

"Protecting me from?"

He was silent and was unresponsive simply because he had no answer. 

"The truth is Matt, you were being protective and overly possessive. The truth is that you didn't want a man return to Your girlfriend's life who she loved and you were the only person who happened to know about it. It is your male ego and your overly protective personality that made you do this which I am not new to. I know this side of yours after all I have known you for 2 years now. The only difference in me and you is that you still don't completely understand me and I understand every bit of you!"

He was shocked to see how she turned down his explanation straight away because he realised that Inaya Qadir was best at understanding strangers let alone him  who she has known for years. 

"Maybe I was being protective..."

"Over protective!" She cut him down quickly with her eyes staring into his with discomfort and disappointment. 

"I am sorry. I am honestly sorry. Try and understand my position too. You know my feelings for you have always been there. After two years of patience and after two years of my honest friendship, I got you. You recognised me and my feelings and gave me a chance. I became selfish, I am sorry. I just couldn't afford even a hint of losing you again. I just can't."