Chapter 17

Inaya heard someone turning the door handle to enter but she pretended to have fallen asleep. Sania came round to Inaya's bed and sat beside her and spoke: "I am very well aware you aren't asleep, open your eyes and talk to me."

Inaya opened her eyes and looked at Sania: "what do I talk about?"

"Do you still want to go to Canada?" Sania gave her one of those looks in which she exactly meant what she asked. 

"Yes and No!" 

"Inaya give me a clear answer, this isn't something so simple and sensitive. You must consider everything before you decide. You seem so confused right now. I really don't think it is a wise decision to leave your home and family in such a confused state. I will tell your Phopho that you aren't interested for now". 

"Ami, I haven't said anything yet though!"

"You don't need to say anything to me, your confused eyes and a distressed face is saying enough already. Look Inaya, no one is forcing you or pressuring you to go, even your father wants you to calmly think. You will have to lose things that are dear to you before you leave and you need to ask yourself whether this is what you want."

Inaya remained silent, she couldn't find words to reply to her but talking to her mother always calmed her, when she couldn't speak, she would cry and she did the same now. Sania was able to understand that Inaya is struggling to make up her mind and that going to Canada is nothing like her desired wish but a hasty decision. 

"Now stop crying and relax yourself, I have got your answer. Don't worry, everything will fall right into place. Okay?" Inaya nodded and slightly smiled.

"Now sleep, see you tomorrow, InshAllah".

*********

Dr Qadir decided to take the family out for dinner but Inaya refused to go and insisted that she wants to stay at home by herself so she can get the time to think and decide on what she actually wants. Sania or Dr Qadir didn't force her and continued with the plan of dinner and left with everyone else. 

Inaya stood at the balcony and gazed at the traffic passing on the nearby busy roads of London. She never resented the busy and crowded noise London streets brought, even her house is based in a busy and lively area and she never got frustrated or tired of it. Tonight, she was feeling frustrated and tired by the noise and the continuous roars of cars and buses going past. While she was at the balcony, she heard a knock on the main door. She walked to the main door to check who it was and she was surprised to see Ahsan Hussain standing with an assured smile on his face and held a small bouquet of flowers.

"You? Here... at this hour?"

"Yeah, sorry I should have asked you if it was okay to come but... anyway so I thought I will come and say Sorry and Thankyou for the other day". 

"You have already said 'Sorry' but what for?"

"You want to talk like this? I mean I am stood in your building's corridor waiting to get in and you are standing and speaking to me with an open front door? Doesn't it look awk--"

"Come in!" Inaya interrupted with a sigh. 

"I was at the balcony having some fresh air, you want to go there?"

"Yeah why not".

********

It was a cloudy evening with some stars appearing here and there fighting through the layers of the clouds. Inaya made coffee for the two and took it to the balcony. 

Ahsan was looking at the roads, the clouds, the nearby homes and then as his eyes fell on Inaya, he went still and stared at her. She was in her super casual PJs with tied up hair and was wearing her distance glasses, but for Ahsan, this simple of a look was perfect in that moment. 

But in that simple look, Ahsan also saw empty eyes with dark circles indicating that Inaya has not been sleeping well. There was a confused look on her face since he came to see her and as much as he wanted to ask, he resisted and kept his questions to himself. But he was certainly concerned. 

With Ahsan beside her, Inaya felt solace and calm, there was a certain relief taking over her emotionally conflicted mind and heart. The crowd of the busy roads or the noise of the cars was now not irritating her. She turned her eyes at Ahsan and her lips curled into a smile when she saw him admiring the flowers on the balcony. 

Moments passed and both didn't speak and neither did they try to look at each other at the same time. But both of them felt assured and comfortable by being with each other alone yet together. 

After a long silence, Ahsan decided to say something he began with asking Inaya whether she is still planning to go to Canada?

"No, Mama thinks I should stay here for now but I want to go. Maybe change will help."

Ahsan sat still, stared at her,  but he was unable to decide whether he wants to say what he had planned. He ended up saying nothing because her words echoed in his ears again "I want to go...". 

"Ahsan?"

"Yeah continue, I am listening."

"So yeah I will tell Mama tonight that I wish to go. Maybe this is what's best."

Ahsan wasn't sure how to react but he understood that Inaya was confused and he didn't want to upset her more with his empty reaction so he forced a smile and assured her. 

"Will you not say anything?"

"I am happy that you have made a decision, as long as you are happy, I support you with everything". He didn't mean any of what he said but to calm her and to maintain her confidence, he lied.