Chapter 13

It had been one month since Firdous passed away, the Hussains gradually continued with life but they certainly didn't forget her. Colonel missed Firdous making his morning tea. Mustafa felt numb thinking he doesn't have his mother to go back to every night and tell her how his day has been. Aliya would recall the times when Firdous explained things to her, how she always made sure that Aliya understood and was always prepared for everything. Ahsan, considering the troubled childhood he had, Firdous took extra care of him. Ahsan missed talking to her, crying in her lap, and hearing those comforting words and prayers, he missed that badly.

Aliya went back to college, Mustafa continued with work and Ahsan returned to university too. They were all granted 2 week leave under this time of bereavement.

******

Inaya always tried to support Ahsan whenever she possibly could. At university, most of their lectures and seminars were the same because they coincidentally chose similar modules.

Most of the time they travelled together because they would end up taking the same train that stops at their stations. That was somehow an another coincidence, they always managed to get on the same train and then meet up too. Fate was perhaps doing its own magic. Inaya would sit next to him so he doesn't feel isolated. Aliya had told her that he has become a lot lonely since Firdous' death.

******

When the final seminar for the day finished, Inaya offered Ahsan to go for coffee if he liked.

"Not today, sorry Inaya, but some other day for sure." He passed a smile.

"Yes ofcourse, no problem." Inaya smiled back. She didn't mind his refusal, she understood his feelings and didn't want to force him.

******

"How was your day today my son?" Colonel inquired with a look of love.

"It was alright I guess, got a few assignments to complete by next week so a lot of work." Ahsan responded.

"Okay, that's good, keep yourself busy. I am glad your day went well."

Before walking to his room, Ahsan came over to his father to give him a hug after all he recognised how much the Colonel was trying to look after this children so they don't feel alone.

******

"How was your day princess?" Dr Qadir was always awaiting Inaya's return from university to hear how her day went.

"It was good, just getting busier everyday". She smiled.

"That's just how University is but you will adjust soon."

"Yes Insha'Allah."

*****

Inaya went to her room, settled and then opened the window to have some fresh breeze. She felt the cold wind that was sweeping into her room and it made her feel relaxed and fresh. While she was enjoying the mild weather of London, a notification popped up and her phone beeped.

"Lets meet up for breakfast tomorrow since our lectures are in the afternoon so we will head to the class afterwards. What say?" Reading this brought a bright smile on Inaya's face. It was Ahsan's text which she wasn't expecting considering just that very day he refused her for coffee.

Inaya was quick to reply: "sure." She did not want to miss this opportunity in lightening Ahsan's mood and having a catch up with him after so long. Though they met everyday at university, he had become quiet and wouldn't talk unless necessary. This was a positive move from his side as if a move that will steadily bring him back to the lively personality he used to have.

"Perfect, see you tomorrow." Ahsan's lips curled into a smile as he sent this to Inaya. "I know I haven't been very talkative, easygoing recently, and I know she understands it but somewhere in all this, I was being unfair to her. She offered all her support in my difficult time and I in return gave her a difficult time. I hope our friendship can rise again Inaya, I really wish it does." Ahsan spoke to himself aside in his room.

******

"Mama, I have to meet a friend for breakfast so I will head out early and my class is at 2 so will be home around 4 or 5pm." Inaya told Sania when she came to give her a glass of milk before bed.

"Yeah that's fine. But does this friend not have a name?" Sania's smile and tone was mischievous.

"Urm, yeah obviously there is a name. Basically I am meeting Ahsan. We meet everyday at university but he has gone really quiet since Firdous' aunty's sudden demise. When he messaged me earlier about this, I thought I shouldn't refuse him now that he is moving forward and trying to have a fresh continuation to life."

Sania smiled in awe of her daughter. "Inaya, you don't need to hide your friendship with Ahsan from any of us at home. He has been through a lot and if your friendship and support in any way can bring the old happy and lively Ahsan back, then by all means do all you can. Never hesitate. Good friends and good people are a blessing and you both are great friends to each other therefore you both are blessed.

Inaya couldn't resist from giving her mother a tight warm hug for the understanding and compassion she has shown.

"Thankyou Mama, I love you."

"I love you more my doll. Have a great day tomorrow. Now sleep, you will be late otherwise." Sania kissed Inaya on her forehead and left the room to allow her to sleep.