Chapter 42

*Italicized paragraphs are flashbacks*

The way back to the house was completely silent. Jinhwan looked hesitant as if he was trying to find something to say, but he gave up and sighed, realising that it would be better if he said nothing at all. When you arrived, he stepped aside for you to enter first and followed behind shortly afterwards. He stood awkwardly, not knowing what to do and you lazily gestured to the couch. He swallowed before slowly walking over and sitting down.
"Could you.....give me a few minutes....?" you asked quietly.
"O-Of course." he replied. You walk upstairs and he stayed on the couch, fiddling with his fingers. You went to the bathroom and washed your face. Taking a few deep breaths, you calmed down and went back downstairs where Jinhwan was patiently waiting. When he heard your footsteps, he immediately sat up. You took another deep breath before looking at him.

"Ok, let's talk." you spoke as you sat next to him. Jinhwan swallowed nervously.
"Let's start from the beginning." you said softly.
"Okay." Jinhwan replied. "Well, I guess it started when my mother started talking about my relationships. She asked me if I had a girlfriend yet."

Jinhwan was laying on the couch playing a game on his phone.
"Jinhwan, Honey." his mother called as she passed him.
"Hm?"
"Do you have a girlfriend yet? I've been wondering about it for a while." Jinhwan's mother said. Jinhwan put his phone down and sat up.
"Actually, yeah. I do." he said.
"Really? Wow, is there a picture of her? Show me." his mother said as she walked closer. Jinhwan chose one of the selfies he took with you and showed it for her to see, but her smile faded away and her expression dropped. Jinhwan lifted a brow.
"Is....something wrong?" he asked. His mother didn't reply and continued to stare at the picture before bringing her gaze back to him.
"And you're with her, right?" she asked.
"Yes." he said.

"I'm.....a little disappointed, Jinhwan." his mother spoke as she crossed her arms. Jinhwan's brows furrowed.
"What?" he said in disbelief.
"I mean....you're a man with high standards. I just expected her to be prettier." she said. Jinhwan felt anger build up in his stomach.
"What are you talking about, Mom? Are you saying she's ugly?" he asked.
"Well, you and I both have to agree that she isn't the most beautiful you've seen." she said as she rolled her eyes and made hand gestures.
"I beg to differ." Jinhwan grumbled.
"Fine, fine. Let's say she's pretty in terms of what you think. What does her mother do?" his mother asked impatiently.
"She works as an accountant, Mom." He replied.
"Tch. Those people don't get money, what about her father?" his mother said, annoyed. Jinhwan tried his best to keep himself from yelling.

"Her father passed away." he said. His mother scoffed.
"Oh, of course! So she's poor. Your girlfriend is from a poor family? That's a little bit of a let down, Jinhwan." she said.
"What the Hell, Mom? She isn't poor at all! She goes to school and has good education, and her mother works overtime so she's barely even home! And don't forget about Bobby." He said.
"Honestly, I'd rather have you be with Jiwon, at least he'd look good." She replied, making Jinhwan's mouth drop. He couldn't believe a word his own mother was saying.
"Do you only care about looks? What is wrong with you, Mom? I thought you would be supportive about my relationships."Jinhwan said.
"I would, but this girl just doesn't match. She's lower than average." His mother nonchalantly said.
"You know what? I'm not listening to you. I'm leaving." Jinhwan said as he stood up and headed for the door. He was fed up.
"Just make the right choice, Jinhwan. Leave her. She's probably just trying to get to our money, anyways." His mother said before the door slammed shut.

"That was the first time. I left and it bothered me a lot. She kept on mentioning it to me and I never bothered to listen until she suddenly brought in Sooyoung." He said.
"Sooyoung?" You repeated. He nodded.

"Is she still with you?" Jinhwan's mother asked, rolling her eyes.
"Mom, I'm not breaking up with her." Jinhwan said.
"Come on, Jinhwan. I thought you'd better." she replied.
"I thought you would be better! I can't just break up with my girlfriend because you don't like her! And if you want me to date a girl who matched your standards, I might as well stay single." Jinhwan said.
"What are you talking about? Of course there's a girl who meets my standards." she said.
"Ha yeah, like who?" Jinhwan said, rolling his eyes.
"Sooyoung."

Jinhwan's eyes widened.
"Sorry, what?" he said, blinking.
"Choi Sooyoung, was it? She's everything I'd want your girlfriend to be." she replied.
"Wait wait, how the Hell do you know Sooyoung?!" Jinhwan asked.
"Watch your mouth, Honey, I am still your mother. Sooyoung visited me while you were away." she said. Jinhwan's mouth dropped.
"How does she know our address?!" he asked.
"She's your friend, isn't she? She said you told her-"
"No way, I didn't tell her anything!" Jinhwan exclaimed.
"Well, she seems like a sweet girl. Why couldn't you have eyes for her instead?" his mother asked. Jinhwan's mouth dropped.

"Mom, do you know what she did to me?! To my girlfriend?!" Jinhwan said.
"What do you mean? What could she have possibly done to you?" his mother asked.
"First of all, she is nowhere close to my friend, and second, she's been trying to get to me by hurting her! She's selfish and she's completely crazy!" he shrieked.
"I'm pretty sure you're exaggerating, but just give her a try, yeah? Things can change." his mother replied.
"No, Mom. I have a girlfriend." he replied.
"Which is why I'm telling you to break up with her! What benefit do you have from dating her, huh? She doesn't have money and she only wears you out by pestering you for pointless things! At least Sooyoung would-"
"Stop, stop, just stop!" Jinhwan said before walking away.

"Whenever I was with my Mom, all she did was tell me to break up with you and it drove me nuts. I was in so much stress because of it." Jinhwan said quietly.

"For the last freaking time! Just shut up about Sooyoung! I hate her and I'm not going to break up with my girlfriend to be with her!" Jinhwan yelled in frustration.
"And that's the problem with you! Maybe if she was more like Sooyoung, I wouldn't bother you about this so much!" his mother replied.
"I don't understand why you can't just let me be with the person I want!" Jinhwan yelled.
"Look, this girl isn't the type of person you should be with. She's poor, she's ugly, she's good for nothing, and she's nothing but a burden to us! A handsome guy like you can't go around with a girl like that!" his mother said.
"Ugh, oh my God, Mom!"

The argument was cut off as Jinhwan's phone began to ring. His mother crossed his arms as he picked it up. He had no idea, but when he saw your name on the screen, a strong feeling of annoyance rushed over him. He answered the call.

"Jinhwan? It's me, is everything-"
"Do we have to do this now?"

There was a pause.

"Um, d-did I interrupt something-"
"Yes."
"O-Oh, really? S-Sorry, I should end the um......"

Jinhwan sighed when you began to stutter. He tried to calm himself down, he didn't want to be mad at you for no reason.

"Sorry, but now isn't the right time."
"Oh.....sorry, Jinhwan....I'll end the call, but could you text me when you can? I just wanna make sure you're okay...."

Jinhwan responded with a low hum.

"Okay, I'll end the call now.....Bye, Jinhwan, I love you."

Jinhwan ended the call immediately and then put his phone in his pocket. His mother gave him a look.

"It was that wench wasn't it-"
"Shut up, Mom." Jinhwan growled before storming off elsewhere.