Chapter 6

I am who I am. Not who you think I am. Not who you want me to be. I am me.

Brigitte Nicole

                  Blood dripped down unto her lip and she swallowed hard. Lilura tried to control her breathing, focusing on the door that swung open when he came or slammed close when he was done with her. She knew he'd be coming soon, but with what, she did not know. A deep rumbling voice echoed off the walls and sent chills through her core, "You know, Lilura, you're making this really hard for the both of us. This could all be over if you hand me what I want.

        The heat clung to her body, tight in her chest and heavy in her lungs. The door swung open, and Lilura sucked on the air and hoped to taste a chilled breeze, but instead, the heat burned her throat. "To betray one's child is a mother's greatest sin."

          He narrowed his eyes at her. "I guess today is another day of torture." A smirk played on his lips, "So what do we do now?" He leaned closed, pressing the cold blade against her neck. Judge Smoothers was careful as he gently traced her collarbone with it. He wanted to keep her alive as long as possible, alive enough to give him answers.

         He then stroked his chin as if he was in deep thought, "I really hate to treat you like this but at the same time. You aren't giving me what I want so, let's play a new game." He struck just below her collarbone, the cold blade ripping through skin. Lilura breathed in deeply, her eyes scanning on the ground. She outlined the stains of her blood, the splotches that dried, and the new drips of it. "Don't die yet, my dear, don't die."

"Death scares me not. It will not snatch until I allow."

           "Your words will be the death of you," he groaned low in his throat, then turned for the door. Judge Smoothers brought his guilt-stained fingers up to his chin, rubbing it gently, as he stained his chin unknowingly. He then brought his fingers to his forehead, wiping off the sweat from off his brow. "You annoy me so. The fire that wields itself in your chest, lest it not kill you."

                Lilura eyed him, her brow raising a little. "I expected more. Has your guilt left you?"

                 "I said I have no guilt woman! What can't you understand?"

            He grabbed her hair in one fist and started dragging her from them. He dragged her across the floor, leaving drops of blood from the wound below her neck. "You surprise me, Lilura. You're not chained to the wall, yet you move not to attempt freedom."

"If I flee, you'd believe it is because I fear. I do not wish to tempt your lips more to pride."

"A woman like you will burn a man's ego flat!"

A smirk played on her lips. "A man with his ego is bluff."

"Woman, I say again, your words will be the death of you."

              Judge Smoothers dragged her into another room, a room that was choked with heat and the lullabies of death. He grabbed a lantern and lit it as he placed it on something. Lilura could perfectly make out a thick, long table with two chairs on either end. There was something else that Lilura could not make out. She squinted her eyes, taking in little details, but not enough to judge it to a label. He grabbed her arm and helped her up, his touch cold and harsh.

               "You probably have no clue about this room, right? You probably don't know why I've taken you here. Well, my dear, this is the next stage. Do you still wish to not tell me the locations of this child?"

         Lilura didn't move nor did she breathe. She wished not to answer him, as all the air was sucked out of her. The heat was clenching too much to her throat. Judge Smoothers moves very slowly in front of her, both their faces inches away. He stroked her cheeks gently, then slapped her face with all the anger stuffed in him. Lilura's body trembled a little, but not enough to impress him as he groaned deep in his throat.

"Don't worry, this new game of mine will surely work. You'd like it too."

          He dragged her towards a chair and made her sit on a chair. He then grabbed both of her arms, slamming them on the table. "It is an easy game, at least if you make it. I'll ask you questions and you are to answer them. If you choose not to answer, you'd give your nail up by default. You answer me incorrectly, the same goes. You do understand that, right?"

             Lilura nodded a little. She had heard this all before. The same line said by different people, at different times, and at different ages. It had all felt the same to her. He took hold of her hands as both were trapped between one of his hand. The other hand held the nail cutter.

"My first question to you is. . . . where is the child?"

Lilura took a deep breath, then scooted closer a bit. "Hidden."

           He let out a forced laugh, but his eyes spoke otherwise. "Ah, you born comedian! You know, after this, you should become a professional! Now, where is the child hidden?"

She smirked gently, "Somewhere."

        Judge Smoothers took her finger between the nail cutter. He slammed the claps together and warm blood starts oozing out. Lilura let out a painful howl, the sound burst from her chest. The tears force themselves out like water from a dam. They spilled down her face. Lilura was trembling terribly, the muscles in her chin shaking like a small child. There was a rawness to her cry, a deep burning rawness. Her throat ached as she cried out. The pain like a freshly opened wound. Her blood kept spilling, covering the table and dripping down to the floor. Judge Smoothers lets go of her hand, placing it down on the table. He was not done

             "Your scream was like music to my ears, ready for another round my dear?"