Chapter 5

Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

kushandwizdom

          "Grandma," Lilura said in a fierce, despairing rush, "Casimir told me... .to help him but then... .he--"

        "Now shut your mouth little lady," said Editha loudly. A vein pulsed at the side of her neck. "You keep your mouth shut about it and don't you go spreading those words, you hear?"

              She looked down, she nodded. She was terrified. And then she began to cry.

           "It's a damn lie, you hear, a damn lie," Editha said again. Her voice rose as she grabbed the soiled undergarments and threw them in the laundry. "You imagined the whole thing, you hear me, Lilura! And I will not have you tearing down all I've built because of this."

Lilura glared in her fear, the fire of her chest burning deep in her throat. "No! H..He did---!"

              Editha slapped her hard, her hands shaking as anger held her soul. Her eyes were as cold as a stone dropped into the ocean. "You think you're so all that, huh, well listen to me very clearly. You're not! You've gotten so ahead of yourself little girl. I run this house, you can not outshine me. Now, I will not repeat myself. You'd let this go like it never happen. No one should hear of this."

"Grandma, please--!"

            Editha slapped her harder, then undid her belt. "You think you're all beautiful? You walk around here looking loose and running your mouth, I ought to beat you for it. I thought with my good training you'd have some sense." Lilura stepped back, trembling with the fear tight around her bones. "You're not beautiful, you hear me, you're not. You're worthless! So don't think you're all that. I run this place, I rule this place. You're under my authority, I am the queen of this house. So don't get that mixed up, little dearie."

            The first blow hit---tears burst from her eyes and she cried out. The second broke her soul, the hurt rooting deep into her chest. Three, she counted. Four. The fifth lash broke her skin and sent stabs of pain down her back. Her back throbbed and thick throbs of blood spurted down. Six. Seven. Her body went numb and her vision blurred. Eight. Nine. Tears spilled down her cheek, dripping unto the blood spots on her thigh.

Editha kept going on, angrily whispering about how everything was Lilura's fault and how she got what she deserved. Lilura had learned that day that silence was key to the soul.