Chapter 42 - Moments

Start from the beginning

         “That’s it?” He asked and I noticed the curiosity in his voice.

         “Yeah,” I said hoping he couldn’t see that I wanted to get more things. I didn’t want to mention that it was the only thing I could afford at the moment.

         “Come on, I am letting you pick anything you want.” He said holding up my chin to look at him.

         “What?” I said surprised.

         “I want you to pick whatever you want, no limit.” He said and I couldn’t wrap my head around what he was saying.

         “I can’t let you spend money on me.” I said looking down.

         “if you are not going to pick them, then I will.” He said and started to walk through the racks.

         Isco started showing things and it started to make me laugh. He was just picking random things, not caring about the size of if it was ugly. He just wanted me to pick more things. He was slowly starting to give up, since I said no or shook my head at most of the things he was showing me. I could read all over his face that he was getting annoyed with me.

         “I want you to have clothes at my place, is that too much to ask?” You could hear how annoyed he was in his voice and he took the skirt from my hands and started walking towards the register. “I can’t do something nice, fucksake.” He mumbled and thought I hadn’t heard him.

         “I really like that last dress you showed me.” I said feeling bad. I was so busy not wanting him not spending money on me that I forgot his feelings.

         “Anythings else?” He said facing me. I nodded and stood on my tippy toes to kiss him.

         I ended up getting two shirts, a pair of skinny jeans and another dress. Isco calmed down as the minutes passed. During lunch he was back to normal. He made jokes, of course, and pointed out how I hadn’t brought my camera with me. As kick off started approaching, you could notice Isco’s nerves getting the best of him. The match was against Barcelona and it was an important match, especially if they wanted to stay on top. We arrived at La Rosaleda an hour before kick off, and I was the one nervous now. Some of the fans would stare at me and Isco, which made my stomach turn. I don’t like people staring at me.

         “Relax.” He whispered in my ear as we walked up some stairs and reached out seats. Isco sat down next to me still holding my hand.

         “I’m trying.” I replied back. Isco squeezed my hand and I started to smile. La Rosaleda looked breathtakingly beautiful tonight. Everyone was wearing the team colors and you could see signs and flags everywhere. People were already chanting and the players hadn’t come out to stretch yet. I turned to Isco and I caught him smiling at me.

         “I have to head to the locker room, just for a moment. I’ll be right back.” He said kissing my  cheek and letting go of my hand. “I love you.” He said not letting me reply back. He disappeared before I could say anything.

          I turned back to look at the pitch and saw the players coming out to stretch. I knew both line ups, and even more that Barcelona are not going to let Malaga win this match easily. I was torn, like I am every match that is Isco against my team. As much as I love him, my love for my club is more than that. I don’t mind sacrificing the city I love for him, but not my club.

         The lady next to me started making small talk with me. She asked me about Isco, and how long we’ve been together. She told me about her grandkids and her husband, who was sitting next to her. We talked, even when the players went back to the locker rooms and when they came out with the hymn playing. Isco still hadn’t come back, but the lady was so interesting that I hadn’t quite noticed yet.

         “Katie!” Isco screamed making me jump from my seat. I felt my stomach do a flip and all I wanted to do was kill him.

         “I hate you so much.” I said turning to him wanting to smack him. The reff blew the whistle while the lady laughed.

         “I love scaring you,” Isco said kissing me by surprise to calm me down and I felt him put something around my neck. I opened my eyes to find a Barcelona scarf around my neck and he had a Malaga one in his hands. We weren’t paying attention to the match right now. We were in our own little world.

         We stood up quickly after that. We were focused only on the game. Our hands together and during the whole first half every miss was a tragedy. I wanted someone to score while Isco just wanted Malaga to score. We sat back down when it was halftime. I thought this was the best moment for a picture. I pulled out my phone from my back pocket and pulled him closer and took the picture.

         “I’m going to take another one.” I said and before I clicked for the picture Isco kissed my cheek.

         “I like that one, I want to post it on instagram.” He said with a half smile. I was surprised that he actually told me to post it, since he is mostly hesitant when I want to post pictures of us. He knows what girls are going to comment on the pictures, and knows how I believe everything people call me. That’s why my instagram is private, he told me to keep it private.

         Second half started and it was pretty much a repeat of the first half. Both team had great moments to score, but somehow missed it. By minute 80 we couldn’t hold it in any longer, our hands squeezed together and it felt like it was going to be a bittersweet tie. Minute 87 came by and Neymar scored. I screamed goal, and Isco let go of my hand and sat down on his chair. He passed his hands through his face and cursed under his breath. The frustration written all over his face and not being able to help the team made him mad.

         I didn’t know what to say as the match ended. He was still sitting down not even glancing at me. I thought a tie would be bittersweet, but a blaugrana victory was worse. I couldn’t smile. I felt like I couldn’t be happy because Isco lost. He looked disappointed because if it was just 3 more minutes to keep the tie. I bit my lip and followed him to the car. I thought about a million things to day, but none of them felt right.

         We got in his car and the silence was killing me. I wanted to say something, but saying that I wasn’t happy Barcelona won was a lie. Saying Malaga tried their hardest, was stupid. I was feeling like a failure, and the worst girlfriend in the world. We arrive to his flat and felt sick to my stomach. I put my purse in the table and threw my scarf as far away as possible.

         “I can’t believe we lost.” sco said looking at the ceiling as he threw himself on the couch.

         “I know.” I said laying next to him. I wrapped his arm around me and started playing with his fingers. “What can I do to cheer you up?” I asked because this was the first time I was in this situation. They have won most of the matches this season, and the two they have lost were when I was still in Miami. I was the worst girlfriend in the world and he was starting to find that out.

         “Just be here with me” He said pulling me closer to him.

         I really needed to sit down with one of the other wags to learn what to do in these situations.