Encounter One

I hated LA. I hated everything about it here. Actually, that's a total lie. I love it here but since my life is clearly in a downward spiral at the moment, I'm going to say I hate it here. 

I had my face down and my hair all around me as I walked through some deserted park near my shared  apartment. The reason I was staring at the ground with a veil of hair around me was because I had just gotten laid off of my dream job. So obviously I was a mess and sobbing uncontrollably for a while. So grown up, right? 

I couldn't help it though. I was so upset and I started stressing out about now being unemployed that it just made me cry. I got laid off because they were cutting back and "they were looking for someone more organized" which I called bullshit because I'm the most organized person ever. It was my first grown up job too. 

I clearly wasn't paying attention to where I was going and obviously the person who fricking knocked me on my ass wasn't paying attention either. I was run into on the whole side of my body knocking me back and scraping my arm on the way down. A skateboard flew into my leg too leaving a nice scrape with what I assume will be a large bruise. I'm just thankful my head didn't collide with the pavement. 

Another body flew down with mine, thankfully not on top of me. After I could focus on what had just happened I saw a boy getting up slowly before he looked over at me and jumped up quickly.

"Fuck, I'm so sorry!" And he was extending his arms to help me up. "Are you okay? Did you hit your head?" He was speaking so quickly. 

"Uh... no. I'm okay, I think." I said. 

"Oh fuck you're crying. Do you need to go to the hospital or something?" 

Oh fuck is right. I'm sure I looked like an absolute mess at this point. 

"No no. I'm okay I promise." I wiped at my eyes. I guess it's better if he thinks I'm a sissy and falling hurt than I'm an immature baby who's crying because I got canned. 

"Seriously, I'm so sorry. I wasn't paying attention at all. Completely zoned out. I should have seen you. I'm sorry!" He was speaking really fast again. 

"Really, it's okay. Shit happens." I looked down at my arm to see it bleeding. Great. 

"You're bleeding." He said. I heard him swear under his breath as he looked around. "Wait right here, I'll get you some napkins or something." He immediately jumped on his board and skated to what I'm assuming was the pizza place that was within sight at some strip mall thing. 

What the hell just happened? I looked down at my arm and it was bleeding pretty hard but I'm pretty sure I didn't need stitches so that's good, I guess. 

I heard him coming back so I looked up from my arm. He was pretty cute, not going to lie. Totally my type too. Gauges with the shaved head; it's like emo meets hipster. At least I wasn't run over by some asshole and I had a cute face to look at. I'm just trying to stay positive over here. 

He returned with a huge stack of napkins and handed me them. 

"Thanks." I said. I placed a few on my arm and held them there to try and stop the bleeding. I look back at him. "What's your name?" 

"Oh! Sonny."

"I'm Baylee."  I walked to a nearby trashcan to throw out the napkins. I then used a clean one to wipe under my eyes. It was starting to get dark out so hopefully that would make me look a little less messy. Everyone looks better with the lights off after all. 

"Are you okay?" He suddenly asked and when I went to open my mouth to tell him I was fine for like the 100th time he cut me off. "And I'm not talking about the fall." I was taken back. 

"Uhh.." What was I even supposed to say to that? "Yeah, I'm good." I told him. I didn't need to pour all my issues out to this complete stranger. 

There was an awkward silence for a moment. 

"Well thank you for getting the napkins." He nodded. "You should really watch where you're skating next time." I told him with a small smile. He rubbed the back of his neck and looked down a little. So adorable. 

"Yeah, that was my bad. Sorry again." I shrugged. 

"It's cool." I looked down at the worn out skateboard. "You're board sucks." Then I realized I didn't really filter what I said and quickly added "No offense!" 

Thankfully he laughed. He kicked the board up allowing me to see the underside that was all torn and clearly used. 

"Yeah, I know. I'll ride it until the wheels fall off though. Hey, not to be totally creepy but I'm doing this DJ thing at this little place downtown. You should grab some friends and come." 

He was a DJ...Well that's interesting I guess. 

I thought about what he had said. What the hell did I have going on anymore? Unemployed with no plans. 

"Where's it at?" I asked. 

"Just give me your number and I can text you all the details." 

I laughed. "Is this just some ploy to get my number?" His eyes widened. 

"No! No! I just thought it would be easier!" He swore under his breath again and I laughed some more. 

"Okay!" I told him and I pulled out my phone. "It's cool. What's your number?" 

We exchanged info and I told him I might show up. He said he hoped that I would. 

I had this feeling I would be seeing more of him though. This whole encounter was just too weird to not see him again. 

-- I would just like to say from the start that I'm playing around with his timeline a bit to fit into my story better, so I know everything isn't in exact order or how it all exaclty happened. Thanks for understanding! --