Chapter XXV: Gone

A/N: Not edited. 2 chapters published in the span of 24 hours, please enjoy whilst I study for my university exams! Can't wait to finish and have 4 months off before next year starts, I'll be able to do so much writing.

As stated on my Instagram wattpad_e.rose, this book will be finished by December and the second book already has multiple chapters to be published. 🧡

Photo above is Alpha Nathan (the next book in this series)

This chapter is dedicated to notyouraveragechick1 thank you for adding this book to one of your lists!
—————————————

It was just one more night until Xavier would be back at his own pack but it wouldn't be for long. He felt as though this serial killer that's leaving bodies along the border is trying to uncover the truth about werewolves existence.

Many humans were not meant to know about the existence of shifters but if a mate is human then they will have some leniency depending on the background of the human. It was unknown to the shifting species how humans could react. There has been the occasional cases of humans being mated to a wolf and usually the wolf is of low status so it isn't really important and they usually just make up some sort of stupid story about being one of few people who have been poisoned by something or were in a freak accident.

Xavier's position under the council is stressful as there are many cases to be followed up on. Especially with the latest technology, it was really hard to cover up. Alpha Nathan was in a strained position with police and federal government poking around.

Didn't help that lately murderers were dumping bodies on werewolf territory. humans thought a forest was a great idea, but with werewolf senses, they slightly push police and detectives the right way to the real culprit. It was always hard with their large quantities already being suspicious and being labeled as a cult.

Xavier sat on the guest bed with his legs spread as he untied the tie around his neck and kicked his shoes off. Taking off the first few buttons of his shirt, his chest hairs laid on display with his muscular pectorals. Running a hand through his hair, he moved it down to grab his phone from his pocket. The stupid thing had been vibrating like crazy whilst he was at a meeting with the federal governments. He held down the button and waited as the phone came to life after it had been turned off.

He scrolled through the many missed calls, his straight face turning down as he no longer felt relaxed. Had there been another rogue attack? Did wolves in his pack die? Was Isla injured? She fought too much but it was bound to happen with the natural alpha instincts that they grew with.

A frantic knock echoed in the empty room. Xavier rose from the bed tensed and opened the door. He blocked his feelings as he prepared himself.

Nathan's beta Joesph stood waiting.

"Is there something you need Beta Joe?" Xavier was stern, he wanted to show no weakness.

"There has been a phone call from your pack on the landline. Something bad has happened."

Xavier was quick to react as soon as the landline was mentioned. Alphas only used their landlines when something terrible has happened that could impact the whole pack. He stormed to the Alpha's office and saw Nathan holding the phone with his tattooed arm.

"Alpha Nathan, if this requires serious attention, I need you to pass me that phone."

He nodded his head in reply. Xavier grabbed the phone and waited for the voice on the other line. He grew concerned with the noise of a male breath. He stretched his ears to try and hear around the background noises but couldn't hear anything besides the one male.