Premise

Okay, you know the drill. You look at a OC, and you think, hey, this looks like shit, but the premise is interesting!

The you read.

And....

THEY DON'T FUCKING USE THE PREMISE FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN AN EXCUSE TO HAVE ABNORMAL POWERS!

UGHHHHHHHH

I just hate this, let me give an example. Say there's an OC, she used to be part of an illegal human experiment, but she managed to escape.

Not the most original, but hey! There's potential for an interesting story! Maybe her past will come back to haunt her, or she can have some kind of messed up mentality (THAT ISN'T EDGE), or making some kind of really interesting crime syndicate!

Sorry didn't give good examples, but anyway, point is, there's a TON of potential! There are a ton of things you can do! But...

People use this premise all the time...

To...

-Give justification for OP powers
-Give justification for being an edge lord
-Give justification for really cheap unrealistic trauma

THOSE THINGS, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY. This isn't the only example.

Zoldyck?

Who cares about rewiring the entire Zoldyck dynamic? Or realistically looking at how she would fit into the family, what she would change, or how she'd be impacted?

Instead....

Just use it as a reason for being powerful, and knowing Killua!

Or maybe...

Adopted by Phantom troupe? Hmm...Let's look at how that may impact the characters menta- NOPE! That's your reason for having no moral dilemmas and being super powerful!

Ugh... I just hate this, I hate when there's an interesting premise with great potential, but it's just used as a cheap excuse for whatever bullshit the author wants.

It gets my hopes up, just to bring them crashing to the ground when they use it as an excuse to be mOrE pOwERfUl tHaN HiSoKA

*vomits*

Ugh. Just please, if come up with a backstory, don't just make it sound interesting, actually make it be interesting.

For example... I think Hunters x and x Heroes uses its characters backstory really well. Go take notes.

UGHHHH!!!!

Honestly it's a sign of incompetent writing

IT JUST ANNOYS ME SO MUCH!