She smiled. "If the food's good."

I laughed.

"No, but honestly, I would do whatever I need to get your mom's approval. Any guy I date."

"Oh." I arched my brows. "So, you don't think we're going to last that long-"

"I didn't say that, but if we didn't-"

"We will," I cut her off turning to the others so the subject would change. I felt her staring at me.

"Penny." She stood. "I'm going to the bathroom. Come with me." Penny quickly stood. Dalta grabbed Penny's hand and pulled her away.

"Wrong move, man." Todd grabbed his third slice.

I shook my head. "Wrong move? What did I do?"

"You've barely been together for three days and you're already bringing up dinner with your parents."

"Because even though we haven't been dating long... I think we know each other enough."

"What?" He chuckled. "Do you love her?" He teased.

I looked down then without hesitation shook my head. "No. I like her but-"

"See, here's your problem. You're giving her the impression that you love her by making future plans with her."

"What future plans? Letting her meet my mom has nothing to do with love-"

"But would you make her have dinner with your mom this early in your relationship?"

"N-no-"

"Exactly. You need to be her ravioli."

"What-"

"She likes pizza but she prefers ravioli. Ravioli is healthier...I think. Regardless, you need to be good for her. Don't give her the impression that you're in love and expecting a future with her... Unless you're in love..." He furrowed his brows. "Are you sure you're not in love, dude-"

"I'm not," I shook my head and chuckled as if the thought of it was outrageous.

"Otis, you didn't bat an eye about dropping everything to protect her-"

"Because if Peter really does get caught, then we're all screwed-"

"She's screwed. She went to the party to stall the guy while Peter robbed him. You punched the guy, but she did bigger damage. Knowing you, if it were me, you would drop me off out of town then make your way back home even though you hate school-"

"I would at least skip a day for you," I chuckled. "Or less."

"See?"

"What about Penny? If it were Penny-"

"You would do the very same thing. You care about Dalta a lot. It's pretty obvious. You put up with her crying-"

"You do too."

"Yeah, but I put up with everything. You put up with nothing but happen to make an exception for her."

I looked down.

"Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you're just suddenly beginning to care about people one by one. Me next, alright man?"

I shook my head and rolled my eyes. I slouched. "How am I even supposed to know if I'm in love with her? My parents were never..." I rolled my eyes again, then looked at Todd.

He shrugged. "I don't know, man. I was in love with a girl I never saw in real life... Google it. WikiHow definitely has something on it."

I snorted and shook my head.

"Might wanna delete you history though. In case Dalta uses your phone. Wouldn't want her seeing "how do you know you're in love" when she uses your phone."

Dalta reappeared and sat beside me.

I flinched. "U- Hey."

She looked a little disappointed.

I quickly sat up and turned to her. "You okay?"

She nodded with a smile. "I just... Can we take the rest of the pizza to go?"

"S...-sure."

* * *

We sat in the car listening to Penny and Todd argue over movie genres.

"There's Horror," Todd said pointing at Penny," and there's horror-comedy-"

"I like them together." Penny shrugged. "I need the comfort of laughter after watching someone's head get chopped off-"

"Then watch a comedy afterwards. You're taking away the whole feel of the horror movie if it's funny."

"No...NO. That's stupid."

I looked at Dalta. She was staring out the window with her hair blocking her face and her shoulder's slouched. Penny and Todd became nonexistent. "Dee?" I touched her shoulder. "Are you okay?"

"Just tired," she replied bluntly.

"Getcher' hand outta' my face!"

Dalta and I quickly looked back at Todd and Penny. Penny had twisted Todd's arm behind his back.

"Owe! Owe! Owe!" He shouted.

"Really, Penny?" I furrowed my brows then quickly turned back to the road.

"Penny, let him go." Dalta hit the top of Penny's head like a dog.

Penny sighed and let go of Todd's arm then she pushed him away from her.

Dalta sat back and covered her face with both hands. "I can't do this."

I looked at her. "Can't do what?"

"Can't do this. Whatever this is. I need to go home to my own bed."

"Why? Is it the room? It's pretty clean-"

"Yeah," Penny agreed. "I brought a black light. The floor has germs, obvi', but for a boring old motel, they keep it pretty clean-"

"That's not...," Dalta sighed. "I don't share a room with other people. I don't feel comfortable and I hate small rooms and I think you guys are keeping something from me-"

"We can get you a room," I quickly redirected her thoughts.

"That's not necessary-"

"If you feel the need to be alone-"

"Dalta," Penny cut me off leaning forward," you've slept over at my house before-"

"I always fall asleep before you. It makes it easier."

"What about me?" I stared at her.

She stared back. "You're different...We didn't get much sleep that night anyway. And I did fall asleep before you."

"What night?" Todd grinned.

Dalta and I rolled our eyes. "Look," she shrugged, "I have money. I'll buy myself a room. It's only one night anyway."

I looked at Penny and Todd. Their eyes were wide.

Dalta opened her purse and began to dig through it for money.

We pulled into the parking lot of the motel. I touched Dalta's hand. "I'll pay for it."

"No, I can-"

I got out of the car before she could finish, making my way back to the front desk. Dalta didn't care about sleeping alone. She had some plan. And I wasn't going to let her get through with it.