• XIV •

FOURTEEN

FOURTEEN

Ava couldn't think straight as she stared down at her phone screen  frozen in place.  She couldn't hear the busy New York traffic, she couldn't hear if her neighbor was still yelling at the game.All she could hear was her pounding heart.

We need to talk ASAP.

Corey could mean millions of things with this message. She could be wanting to talk about the latest gossip going around the college campus or talking about one of her million trips to the mall. But Ava couldn't let those possibilities slide into her mind and settle on them. Her gut was telling her that she knew about the baby, that she knew that Ava was a bad friend.

Shaking her head, she got the courage to lock her phone screen and stand up from the cold tiled floor. She wanted nothing but to curl up in a ball on her bed and binge watch every episode of Supernatural episode she could before she fell asleep from misery, but she knew she couldn't. She had to check up on her baby and see if she needed to take precaution on her daily schedule.

Grabbing her car keys and a jacket, she left her apartment building and leaves the text message from Corey behind so she could focus on the only thing that is important to her now. Her baby.

●~ ● ~●

When Ava entered the waiting area after checking herself in, her eyes skimmed across the room looking for the blonde mess of Grayson Knight, who has yet to show up. Swallowing her disappointment, Ava takes a seat in one of the chairs close the window and looks at the fish tank with multiple fish swimming around, oblivious to the world they live in.

Ava would give anything to be a fish at this moment. It may not be her first appointment, but it would be her first appointment alone. Wren, her little sister was supposed to come to her with this one, but when the girl falls sick there's only so much she could do and now getting some hope that Grayson would keep to his word and be there with her at this appointment, whether it be for support or not, it still hurt Ava that Grayson couldn't do this one thing.

"Did they already call your name?"

Ava snaps her head away from the colorful fish and over to an out of breath Grayson. Ava shakes her head crossing her arms over her bag and averting her eyes back to the glowing tank.

"No, if they did I wouldn't be out here."

Grayson doesn't say anything but takes a seat next to her. From the corner of her eye she could see his knee bouncing up and down in rythm something he only does when he is nervous.

"Why are you nervous?" Ava spoke grabbing one of the magazines from the table, a little staring at her as he ran his racecar along the covers of the other ones.