Chapter 7: Wolfsbane

"Nah," Daniel shook his head. "Not evil, just mean is all. Boy, you better be careful, waggin' that tongue of yours 'round here like that. Throwin' us in with that evil nonsense."

"You attacked us first!" Liam retorted.

"Be honest boy, what do you think they were there to do? Wantin' to pick flowers with us? Learn how we live out here peaceful and all?"

Liam glanced at Mae unable to hold her gaze for long. "No," he said after a long silence.

"I bet my tail they were gonna sell my Lil'daisy to your church."

"Probably," Liam shrugged.

"And your thinkin' we're evil," Daniel scoffed, taking a furred robe from a young boy. Daniel wrapped it around his naked form, "Thank you little one." He ruffled the boy's hair, "Say hi to miss daisy." The boy smiled shyly at Mae, gave her a quick nod and ran off.

"Is he your son?" Mae asked.

"Nah. Been helpin' him with his changes since his father was murdered." He sent Liam a withering glare.

"Do you think I liked what my uncles did?" Liam stood. Mae inhaled sharply, was Daniel going to kill him now?

"Hmmph. Doubt they were treatin' you better'n us, but the only reason you're alive right now is because of miss daisy," Daniel towered over Liam.

"It doesn't matter, you're going to keep her and breed her like a pig just like them!" Liam balled his fists.

"Sit down before I smack the stupid outta boy," Daniel growled. "We're not the animals your people thinkin' us to be. We might be furry but that ain't no reason to think we're mindless beasts. Lil'daisy there thinks we're beautiful."

Liam's lip curled, "She said that to save herself."

"Bah, you said you were her servant to save yourself. I ain't never seen a moon elf this far from the fairy lands. Poor flower probably was kidnapped by your people."

Mae studied her feet while they argued, "Lin?" She murmured turning her attention to the trees. A small breeze chilled her to the bone, did you hear me? She missed Lin, maybe the dryad would save her again. Mae knew it was too much to hope for.

"Lil'daisy we're gonna take ya back to your people," Daniel rubbed her shoulder.

"Alathan will return me," Mae let peace wash over her with another chilly breeze. Would it take her to Him? She imagined herself floating on wind current, floating home where her family was excited for her return.

"Sweetheart, your God ain't here. You're gonna freeze to death. Go sit your little behind next to a fire and we'll get ya a blanket."

"He brought me here He has to take me back," Mae pressed.

"I ain't a priest," Daniel held up his hands. "But I can get ya to Mistress Orianna, she's knowin' more'n myself about getting you back." Mae accepted the blanket he wrapped around her shoulders. Her fingers tightened on the blanket and stared blankly into the fire.

"I'll speak to this woman," Mae said weakly. "Where can I find her?" A soft sigh escaped her lips.

"She's not here, and I ain't about to let ya walk there tonight."

"Don't you know moon elves travel best under moonlight?" She replied absently.

"I don't know much about your people Lil'daisy," he rubbed her back. "But ya got somethin' watchin' over ya. You hungry?"

"No."

Daniel let her be, with him gone, Liam sat next to her donning the overcoat he'd filched from the wagon.