Capitulo Dos

"Why didn't we skip Calc today?" Ian groaned, running a hand through his mop of curls.

"Because the last time we skipped we got detention. Remember?" I muttered, vandalizing the desk behind him with smiley faces and rocket ships.

We were in our fifth period Calculus class with only half the day gone and our stomachs grumbling for its lunch. Our teacher, Mr Davidson, was in the process of explaining theorems but just like my other classes, information went in one ear and left out the other. Math wasn't hard for me, on the contrary, it was quite easy. Acing exams became second nature after my fallout last year. I failed most of my classes and the heart attack I nearly gave my mother made me take a turn for the better. However, the other kids in the class could hardly afford zoning out the way I did, especially Ian, who failed the class twice.

Ian is your average teenage slacker. He loved doing drugs and listening to Jimi Hendrix, but he is a sucker for poodles and the environment. Constant volunteering at the nearby animal shelter and skating around Santa Monica is pretty much his forte even though he was high on drugs most of the time. We shared the same personality; laid-back, do-gooder, who spends too much time outdoors doing shenanigans. We both loved Joywave, the smell of permanent marker and the surf, which is how we became friends in the first place. After a mellow day out in the beach freshman year, he walked up to me and said,

"Dude, I bet you can't do what you do out there," He pointed to the water, " On land."

Little did he know that I've been skating ever since I was six. Then, eight years later, I was a pro and as good as I was on water, I was better on land. He watched my moves like a little kid watching their favorite toy commercial and when I was done flaunting my skills, I taught him a thing or two. Everything after that was history and till this day, I don't let him live down how he underestimated me.

   "...and that is everything you need to know about the Rolle's Theorem. Now, let's move on to the mean value theorem."

The class dragged on for another twenty-four minutes until the class bell rung. But just like always, Mr. Davidson decided to wait until the last few seconds of class to make a great announcement.

"Now everyone, before you leave, please pick up your exams from last week. They were all graded and I have to say, I'm disappointed in most of the grades. It seems many of you did not fully grasp the product rule. I'll be sure to bring it up on our following exam."

There were a few groans, eye rolls but most of the class, trembled in fright because all of us knew when he said most, he meant 99%. Ian turned in his seat, the look of pure aguish written all over his face.

"I'm hoping for a 72." He confessed, watching the countless bodies of our peers collect their exams. Mr. Davidson lingered behind his desk, as usual, giving each and every one of them a hard look of dissatisfaction.

I laughed, "You cheated off me, loser. I'm not as dumb as I look."

"You're only saying that because you're the teacher's pet."

"Since when?" I countered, gradually getting up and walking to the front of the room. Ian followed, staying only a few steps behind.

"Since-" He started but Mr. Davidson cut him off with a smile.

"Mr. Duncan. I'm glad to see you're one of the few students who understand what is going on in class. Great job."

Mr. Davidson handed me an exam with a medium-sized 100% on the right side of the page. I tried not to seem as happy as the grade made me feel but it was too much to cover up. I couldn't help but feel a tinge of accomplishment surge through me. The same tinge I get when I complete a wave or when my mother gives me one of her rare thank you's.