six: Disaster Lunch

Bayley's POV

"Bayley!"

"Bayles!"

"BAYLEY!"

I frantically sit upright and rub my eyes. Lex is standing in front of me with a concerned look on her face.

"What time is it?" I mutter, tiredly.

"It is 8 am. Have you been up all night cooking?" She asks, staring at the mess in her kitchen.

We are in Lex's apartment in Los Angeles which she bought a year ago. I nod and stand up and stretch out.

"Yeah, everything needs to be perfect for lunch. His mom needs to like me." I say, stifling a yawn.

"Bayley, you don't need to slave yourself off for a woman that will never like you." She says sympathetically.

"I know that she will never like me, but what fiance would I be if I didn't try?" I ask hopelessly and leave her in the kitchen and go to the room.

"Oh and can you leave before 11 am? I need to renovate and move some furniture around." I shout and hear Lex's protests, but block it out.

She is literally the least of my problems.

•••

Once I am done, I admire my outfit which Lex obviously helped me with. I am wearing a white summer dress with gold flats and my hair is curled and I have natural makeup on with some gold in.

You don't even need to analyze this to figure out that Alexa basically did 99% of my look. Sometimes, I really do under appreciate that girl.

I hear the oven bell and dash to the kitchen. I open it and take the  chicken out just in time for it to have a crispy brown colour.

I smile at the meal I have prepared: I made roasted chicken with a garlic bread and a green salad with baked potatoes and gravy on the side. For dessert, I made a fancy French  chocolate thingy which for the life of me I cannot pronounce.

But it looks and smells good.

Oh and freshly squeezed orange juice and sparkling water.

The doorbell rings and my heartbeat automatically increase.

"Chill Bayley, you got this." I mutter and walk to the door.

I open it and see Finn standing there in a cute white button up shirt and a blue jean and white Vans. His mother is also standing there literally dressed like the Queen of England.

"Good afternoon Mrs Gina. Hey Finn." I say and smile politely, opening the door wider for them.

"Hey Angel." Finn says and kisses my cheek.

"Bianca." She says and I suppress a frown.

"It's Bayley, Mom. You know that." Finn grits.

"Of course, how could I forget." She says sarcastically with absolutely no sincerity.

This is going to be a disaster.

•••

"How's the food?" I ask in an attempt to break the awkward silence around the dinner table.

"It's amazing, Love." Finn says with a grin.

Although it settles me that my boyfr- I mean fiancé, likes it, it is not his approval that I need...

"It is average. Although you could've taken out the chicken earlier or lay off of the pepper in the salad." She says with a distasteful look.

Finn shoots her a warning glare and she sighs very dramatically.