T H R E E

A/N: if anyone's reading this, how are you liking it so far? Also, I have a tumblr: hopesoriginal, where the story is also on and I'd love for you guys to send things in to my inbox! I also do imagines for various shows on there, if you want to send in a request!

-

I found Hope at Rousseau's. She looked defeated and down, and my eyes were glued to the snake on the table amongst Declan's vegetables. Klaus and her were too close, the darkness was seeping through.

"What happened?" I asked.

"He attacked Declan," she said, and my eyes widened, but before I could say anything, she said, "Well, tried. I got here before he did. He compelled him to forget. I think he's just jealous Declan's been more of a dad to me than he has, though it's not like he wasn't given the opportunity to."

She stared at the floor, and I stepped towards her as the tears started spilling from her face. She started to sob, and I pulled her into a hug.

"You need to tell them that you're the one who took your mom," I told her, and she pulled away, shaking her head and wiping her tears.

"The minute they find her, Dad's going to leave, and not come back," she said, fear in her voice to lose her father four the third time in her life. 

"He's Niklaus Mikaelson, he's going to torment the factions until he finds out which one took Aunt Hayley," I tried to reason with her.

"No, Lilah," she said, standing her ground. "I'm not going to, and neither are you."

"Is that a threat, Hope?" I asked, my tone as serious as the tone of my best friend.

"I don't want to fight," she said. "You're not going to get involved. The same way I'm not going to get involved in whatever is it going on between you and Roman."

My eyes widened and I blushed, and she smirked.

"I didn't even realize you had a thing for Roman!" she said, crossing her arms over her chest. "And then I find him outside your bedroom trying to come in."

I shook my head, feeling sad over the fact he seemed more interested in her than me. "It's not like that. He found out about Henry, he was looking for you."

"He said that?" she asked, a look on her face that made my gut hurt. Maybe she was as interested in him as he was in her.

"Well, he said he was looking for either of us," I explained. "But he was asking about you."

"Oh," she nodded. "Interesting."

--

She went back home first, and I stayed back to dispose of the snake. It didn't even occur to me that her and Roman would be alone together until I was almost home. I hated the jealous feeling I got, and I walked inside. I could hear them talking, and I just listened instead of making my presence known. I felt bad for eavesdropping, but that didn't stop me.

"Well, according to my school files, I have a rebellious nature and a callous disregard for authority," Roman said with a laugh. "So... no."

I smiled, remembering all the times I'd see him sitting in the hall in front of Alaric and Caroline's office. Every time, he was in trouble for something. The last time he had gotten in trouble, though, I was with him. We had snuck into that file cabinet of Alaric's, taking turns drinking his emergency Bourban before Dorian caught us. 

That was the first time I ever talked to Roman. We had both been in there before, but never together. We sat on the floor against the bookshelf, talking but also not talking. He was the bad boy ancient vampire, and I was Hope Marshall's vampire best friend.