KAI COACHMAN
[August 28th 2020]

"Yes, ma, I'll be home tomorrow to help you," I tried to keep my voice down.

I don't know why my mom thought it'd be a smart idea to call me at literally one a.m in the morning but it was like the Coachmans' to make no goddamn sense. It just sucked because her ass was so loud that I had to put her at literally the minimum level on my phone and it still sounded like I was on speaker when I wasn't.

"Where do you spend your days anyhow? You sitting outside acting homeless, Kai?" Ma said, her voice growing louder.

Insert eye roll.

"You'll never catch me outside," I mutter.

"Why's that?" She questions.

"Because I fucking hate bugs. My blood is probably tasty as hell because I attract a lot of them," I say, irritation lacing my tone as I began to remember back in my middle school days when I'd play outside constantly and always come back inside the house with bumps all over me. I hate bugs so much.

"Your mouth will be filled with dish soap in a minute if you don't keep those curse words out your mouth," she threatens, "it's getting late—"

Well no shit, it's literally 1 a.m. I will remain salty that she called me this late when I was supposed to be getting my beauty sleep. You think I just magically wake up and look perfect? No, that takes sleep.

"—come over early tomorrow, the internets broken."

I rolled my eyes.

"The internet is not broken, ma—"

"It's broken Kai, my computer won't turn on. Don't argue with the woman who carried you for nine tragic long months," she scolded, attitude in her voice.

"Yeah, okay," I didn't argue any further because I was tired and now my stomach was making loud noises telling me it was time to get a late night snack.

"Love you," she says before hanging up.

I blink as I sigh and toss my phone to the side. She had that habit of wanting to say the last word and hanging up afterward before I could even get a word out. I've grown accustomed to it but sometimes I'd like to say, 'love you,' back because I did love my mother a lot.

Who wouldn't love the single person in the world who did what they could to make sure you were fed, had a roof over your head, and put up with your tantrums? I was a handful of a child and I always wondered why my mom didn't throw me in the trash already. I was too much, even for myself sometimes.

Nonetheless, I appreciated her even though I didn't always feel this love for her. My face screws into a frown as my thoughts begin to roam freely and memories of the past flash in my mind. I intake a sharp breath, shaking my head and willing the pictures that filled my mind to disappear.

I don't want to remember those things anymore.

I swallow thickly and throw the comforter off my legs and stand, stretching my body a bit. I look around the room for a bit, memories of Declan picking out this room for me fresh in my mind.

When Bolt and I graduated earlier this year, Killian practically insisted that Finnick live with him and claimed it was painful being without him; I, For one, think he just wants to get his ass 24/7. Anyways, Declan wanted for me to do the same and share a room with him but I declined because I needed my space and I knew very well that Declan would never keep his hands off me if we actually shared a room together.

It was like he was horny all the damn time with how frequently he has his hands on me, it could also be the fact that I'm a whole meal. But regardless, we've been living in the pack house ever since and May visits often because she's mated to Chris.