Chapter 3: Recreation

"Sup, Emily."

''Whasssup, my dear military friend?''

Martha marched in to my room, before taking a seat at Emma's bed, who replied with a snort of frustration, since it was just 5 am in the morning, and it's our day off.

''What do you plan on doing today?''

''I dunno, play? In the garden?''

''What? Are you serious? We shooting my flare gun at random shit? I am only given one flare bullet per match excuse me?''

''I was just kidding with you, why'd you take it so serious?''

''Neh, it's probably because of the military trainings...''

''Uh.. guys?'' Emma sat partially upright and squinted in the faint light. ''If you want to argue, please do it outside? I need to sleep? Please?''

I got my usual pouch and my basket of dirty laundry and towels, before heading out into the dining room.

Martha grabbed her's along the way.

''Oof, sorry..''

''Hey, morning Helena!''

''Oh, it's you. Morning, Emily, what brings you up so early?''

''I am technically an early riser.''

''Right.''

I walked down the halls, and took the usual breakfast, where we had our usual food, passing of salt and pepper, and the usual stuff that you would do at a dining table.

At 8 am, today was diffferent.

People lined to enter the bathroom, and to use the washing machine.

Now that is something you don't see everyday in a home.

As usual, William Ellis, the guy who loves playing rugby, will always be the first to use the machines.

And here we are, lining up, just to use it.

Some smarter ones, like Helena, will use the bathroom first, and hand wash her clothes inside.

Others, like Martha and I, will just spend our time in the garden playing first, until around dusk, where everyone is more or less done with their laundry.

Emma?

You don't have to ask.

She has been out here since the morning, talking to her scarecrow that doesn't even move, though she claimed to be having a conversation with him before we arrived.

Some kind of her illness must be acting itself again.

''So, what do you think of today?'' Martha sighed and took a seat at the bench.

''What do you mean?''

''I dunno, maybe the hunters will come and play with us?''

''You're nuts.''

''Hey, I mean, what if! What if!''

''Ah... Like that would happen.''

We sort of just hanged around in the garden, taking a snooze under the tree, fooling around with the crows that found their landing spot on a lamp post, blah blah, nothing interesting, until...

"And, done."

"All according to plan."

We were just done with the laundry and had taken a nice long shower, and all just in time for dinner.

We had our usual bread and cheese, along with some greasy onion cheese soup.

"Ahem."

We stopped and looked up.

Jack, otherwise known as the ripper was standing at the door leading to the hunter's living quarters.

Silence fell, people kept quiet. There wasn't the usual cheer or hysterical laughter from people. Everyone was quiet. This usually doesn't happen during dinner time. We hardly get to see the hunters other than inside the match itself.

"Good evening," Jack begin in a calm and deep voice. "I am here to inform you about the new layout we are going to have for the next few matches. Due to the lack of funds, we are cutting down on the operational maps that we shall be using."

Some of us snickered.

Probably the reason why the funds are running low because of the new amusement park that they have built.

"Therefore, from tomorrow onwards, the maps shall have a total of 2 hunters chasing down 8 survivors. This is definitely fair and it doesn't make much of a difference since the ratio are the same."

People nodded.

"However, do note that the same rules apply, no usage of unofficial items to sabotage the hunters, or you shall be sentenced to death. We have also included phone boxes so that you may contact the owner of the manor for items that you wish to buy. However, that excludes the buying of Macdonald's."

Some of us laughed while he folded the paper and left the room.

"Well, that was weird." Martha scooped up the last of her spinach.

"Yeah, this new thing must be cool. 2 hunters and 8 survivors. Cool."

We cleared up and decided to call it a night for the new line of events that are about to come.

Just as I was about to go to bed, I noticed that my laundry had changed. My clothes... were somehow in a different color. Red and Black.

A letter sat by the bedside table.

Dear Ms Emily Dyer,
We would like to inform you about the new change in our ideas for your dull clothes, please accept this new change in color from the owner of the manor as a gift. Hope you love it as much as we did in the dyeing process of your clothes.

Sincerely,
Oletus

Wow, of course they had to give some reason to dye my clothes.

I looked through the new design of my clothes. Actually, the design didn't change, just the change of color, other than that, it's... meh. But the colors are really nice and a new spice to my dull clothes. I guess.

Bordeaux Red.

Those were the words on the hem of my dress.