Wild Jewel - Chapter 19

Start from the beginning

Hissing noises swoop around us, and I resist the urge to clamp my ears shut, though I cringe at the sheer sound, the pain throbbing inside my head.

"Noro lim, Leodáin! Noro lim!" Her voice sounds desperate as she yells at me, and by the increase of her stride, I take it that she wishes me to move faster as well.

More figures continue to fly around us, and my need to protect Daniella seems overpowering, but it seems that Daniella knows what she is actually doing, or what we were up against, so my faith in her increases as well.

I dare not look behind us, knowing all to well that we were being flanked closely behind. My feet hit the ground hard, splashing through the slush and mud.

We run through a rushing creek, bearing down from the valley of a nearby mountain and a stunning sense of déjà vu hits me as I realize the similarities with the vampyres before. Daniella turns on her heel, facing the black figures.

I count as they fan out along the opposite bank of the river. Five...seven...ten...twelve dark cloaked figures stand before us, their faces completely hidden underneath their hoods. I take hold of my sword instinctively, knowing a fight was to brew.

The middle figure hisses words at us in a dark speech, much less beautiful than the language I'd heard from Daniella before, but she manages to understand what they say, as she replies in her own foreign language, though the threat coming from her lips is clear. Her words manage to startle me, sending shivers up my spine. Never had I imagined her voice to sound so deathly.

The figures hiss at her words, drawing their swords without hesitation and reluctantly begin to step forward towards us, being wary of the running water beneath their feet.

Daniella draws a sword, stepping in front of me. I begin to protest, but her words cut me off.

"Nîn o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer; rimmo nîn Bruinen dan in Ulaer!" The words sound like a song as she closes her eyes in concentration. She repeats the words once again, and the last of her words seem to echo around the forest, as beyond her words I hear the loud gushing of water.

I look up to see a great wave of water building and building up from the creek, up till now, the creek never seemed to become deeper than our own ankles. Now, both stunning and powerful, the sheer size of the wave seems to overpower everything in its path, yet never straying from its course.

The dark figures look startled as they realize what was coming towards them, but all too late, the wall of water swallows them into abyss, and the sounds of their hissing drowns out along with their bodies. All too suddenly, the creatures have disappeared, practically becoming invisible before our eyes, and promptly, the waters settle back to the running creek it once was.

I turn back to look down at Daniella, and am barely able to catch her in time. Her legs refusing to hold her any longer, she collapses into my arms, sounding breathless as she lays there.

"Ella? Ella! Look at me! Are you alright?" I whisper frantically.

Her eyes meet mine for a moment, sincerity burning in her stare.

"Leo..." I scarcely hear her words before her mouth slackens and she closes her eyes to unconsciousness.

~~~~Daniella/Charushëela's POV~~~~~

Wraiths were closing in on us, and I knew the only option for us to escape. I jump through the rushing creek, Leodáin behind me in tow, before I turn around to face our opponents. There were no birds or animals to be found around us - like as though the Taurë itself had become barren of the sweet songs of nature.

There were at least twelve creatures standing before us, and yet their presence already brought on a round of chilling shivers, I couldn't help the sheer panic I found as I stared into their faces. I no longer had Arielle or Delius to fall back on, and I knew it was up to me now to keep us safe. I had passed the creek, knowing that they could not cross running water, just as vampyres could not, but I knew that they were able to do it gradually.