Wild Jewel - Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Early the next morning, I rise from my bed chamber with a funny thought on my mind. Maybe I didn’t have to dread being married to Leodáin. Sure, there was always the off chance that Leodáin may still be a complete and utter ass, but from the display I had seen from him yesterday, I couldn’t seem to find any trace of the old Leodáin; the one who would humiliate anyone for his own advantage, who would harass anyone who didn’t please him, even a woman where it was clear that was well below the line of what was acceptable.

But even when I decide that being married to Leodáin wouldn’t be the end of the world, I realize that I didn’t want to be married at all. Well, not yet anyway. I mean, for a woman in this, the first thing that she should do is always find a husband who could provide support and a home. Because for us, love and marriage were always a rare find. But for Leodáin; well, I knew the reasons why he had to marry. Of course, it was accepted that a King may be unmarried when he takes up the throne, but it was hardly something that anyone encouraged. Though the women for most families were there to cook, clean and take care of the household, for royalty there was certainly a bigger part to play. Queen Ava was an example of that.

During the day, I watch the servants of the castle make preparations for the ball tonight. Nobles were arriving at a fast rate, many of whom I was sure I was to be expected to have to make small talk with them tonight. Hopefully, my part would not go farther than looking pretty and smiling occasionally, letting my father do most of the talking.

When I’d arrived yesterday afternoon, I’d made it to my chamber without any commotion. The only person I needed to convince I was alright was Siobhan when she’d taken the duty of undressing me from my ragged dress. I assured her that I was completely fine, that I’d gotten carried away playing in the trees with the Sprites and Pixies. That made her hush, though she knew it was unacceptable to believe in those kinds of creatures in this day and age, she always encouraged me to follow my heart.

Only once through the day did I see Leodáin again, but this time he did not see me. He was busy greeting nobles and instructing people about the place. For a while, I simply admire him; admiring the way he’d grown up. He was still young to be a man, but a man he certainly was, even if his face still showed signs of immaturity. The way he held himself and guided the people around him; that was enough to make everyone believe that he was truly going to make a great King.

 As soon as I have made it to my chamber when the Ball is due to begin soon, Siobhan attends to me without hesitation. Though over the years we had shared stories of the Forbidden Forest, tonight there are none to be shared, as we are much too preoccupied to pay attention to another story of her adventures and discoveries.

Siobhan adorns me in the dress I had brought the day before; a fine ivory burnet gown with a golden metallic brocade. The skirt was longer than most I had worn before, and trailed along the floor. The long delicate sleeves draws attention to my thin wrists and the tight bodice accentuates my slim waist. The gown was overall a little demure, yet seductive. And to finish the look, my emerald brooch, sitting it precisely in the top middle of the bodice.

Siobhan makes an effort at adapting my long hair from its usual straight down in curls to pinning half of it up in a modest twist and left the rest falling down towards my small waist. When I look at my reflection, I see how the warmth of my dress brings out my emerald eyes and makes my skin look soft and alive. I was beautiful. My father had always dressed me in cooler colors like blues and deep greens. But this time, I really noticed how they had made me look washed out and tired. Now the difference seemed immaculate.

“You are beautiful, little lady,” Siobhan says and smiles to me, using my old nickname.

I smile back, and give her a peck on the cheek. “Thank you, my friend.”